Unable to install latest beta (B12) too, but for a different reason

FrogProf
FrogProf
Community Member

I downloaded the beta from the link in Nik's email, using ES File Explorer and that may be my problem. Everything went well (download, scan, ask if I really want to install something from an Unknown Source, etc.) until I got to the part where I click on "Install." I click and nothing happens. I can back out of that screen, I can click "Cancel" and it cancels, but when I click "Install," nothing. If I'm missing something obvious here, please be gentle.

Comments

• Hi @FrogProf! Please ensure installation from Unknown Source is enabled. To enable this option, please follow these instructions below:

1. Go into Settings -> Security on your Android device
    2. Check the box beside "Unknown Sources" to allow installations from apps outside of the Google Play Store
  • leetired
    leetired
    Community Member

I am also having this problem with the most recent build (18), however, I already have allowed "Unknown Sources" to install apps.

I am using a Galaxy S4 running Android 4.4.2.

• I am sorry that you are having trouble getting the beta installed. Unfortunately, I am not able to reproduce the issue on my end. I am able to use ES File Explorer to install the .apk file after downloading it from the newsletter using Chrome. Could you provide a detailed list of the steps that you are following when you attempt the install?

• leetired
    leetired
    Community Member

Sure!

1. I click on the link in the email. I'm taken to the download page.

2. I tap the blue 'Download' button and since I don't have any defaults set, I am prompted to pick an application to complete the action. I use ES Downloader to 'complete the action' and download the file.

3. When the file has finished downloading, I tap 'open file'

4. I try to tap 'Install', but it doesn't let me . However, I can hit cancel.

If I open up ES File Explorer and navigate to the downloaded file and attempt to install it that way, I get the same result. When I delete all the downloaded files and then select 'open folder' at step 3, and open the file that way, I get the same result.

Security settings;
    Unknown Sources: checked
    Verify apps: unchecked
    Change security level: I keep changing it to normal, but it keeps switching back to high as soon as I leave the 'Security' view. I haven't worked out what is happening here.

Thanks for your help!

• Thank you for provided those additional details! Your security settings for Unknown Sources and Verify Apps should be fine (I have both checked on my device). Two possibilities that come to mind are that the ES Downloader may be failing to download the app file correctly or that the security level may be interfering with the installation of the app.

Let's first rule out the ES Downloader as the source of the problem. Could you try going through the same steps above again, but this time select Chrome for your browser and select Chrome to complete the download as well? Let me know if that makes any difference to the install process.

• leetired
    leetired
    Community Member

No problem!

So I used Chrome as the 'downloader', and I got the same result. I tried opening it from the status-bar-notifacation-drawer-pull-down-whatever that is called. I also tried opening it via ES File Explorer and the default 'My Files' folder that is on my phone. All of these I tried downloading it a couple different times, but the install button never worked.

• @leetired I wonder then if the problem that you are encountering is related to the issue with your security settings staying stuck on high. That's the only thing that comes to mind at this point. Is it possible that you have a security policy enforced on your device (from work perhaps) that is overriding your attempt to set the security setting to normal?

• Michael Westerwald
    Michael Westerwald
    Community Member

Self Failure here. Use SD-Maid to cleaning your System and the install works fine.

• @Michael Westerwald‌ Could you please provide a little more context and explain how SD-Maid would help in this situation?

This discussion has been closed.