Master Password rest

Options
kvbigbie
kvbigbie
Community Member

In my rush to set up my account and create a secure password, I failed to right it down, thinking that I would never forget that.......I did, is there any way to re-set my master password if its forgotten or do I have to start over?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kvbigbie‌

For your privacy and security, your master password is known only by you. We cannot reset it for you and you cannot change it without entering the old one. There is also no "back door" to access your data without the master password. If there were, that would be a security hole that criminals could exploit to steal your information.

If you think you know what the password is, but it is not being accepted, please see the tips in this guide:

http://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/iOS/Tutorials/ios-forgot-mp.html

Please try each tip, for we have found them to be the most common causes of this problem. If you cannot remember the password, you will need to restore from a backup or start over. Both of these steps are documented in the guide.

If you've really never stored anything in your 1Password data file then starting over is really easy -- but you'll want to make sure and provide a good "password hint" so you don't forget the master password again.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

you'll want to make sure and provide a good "password hint" so you don't forget the master password again.

@Megan - I've wondered what people do to provide a "good" hint for Diceware-generated passwords. My current hint is, "My Diceware password list." That's about as good as no hint at all. Do you know how to handle this? I do have a written copy in a safe place - maybe that's the best that can be done.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2014
    Options

Hi @hawkmoth,

It's hard to suggest a standard good hint for something as random as Diceware. ;) I think it would have to be based on the string of words that you have come up with. Using the xkcd example of correct horse battery staple, an appropriate hint might be something along the lines of equines and office supplies. Anything that will jog your memory a bit on a few of the words could be helpful.

This is also depends hugely on how you remember things best, so a hint that makes sense to me might be completely baffling to you.

I'm curious to see how other users might choose a hint for this string!

This discussion has been closed.