Master password issue with special characters (German)

Options
0I8taSE4jkOaqzRUFdnd
0I8taSE4jkOaqzRUFdnd
Community Member
edited March 2014 in Android

Dear agilebits developer team,

I use 1Password on both my Macbook Pro, Windows 7 computer and iPad 3, all synchronized over Dropbox. My master password consists of dozens of random characters including German special characters like ö, ä and ü. It all works very well that way.

But 1Password 4 Android Beta (1P4Android_20140307C.apk) running on my Samsung Galaxy S4 with Android 4.3 seems to reject my master password and reports that it would be "invalid".

I hope you guys will resolve this issue, as those characters are used by millions of German speaking people all over Europe.

Thanks in advance and keep up with your good work!

P.S. The current 1Password for Android app also rejects my master password.

Comments

• saad
    Options

Hello! Thanks for taking the time to write to us, and thank you for your support of 1Password. We would love to have full Unicode master passwords across all instances where a master password could be entered. In a technical, but not very useful, sense we do have this support. 1Password is actually indifferent to character set and character encoding choice. It will use whatever is passed to it. The difficulty is that different operating systems and environments can hand a different chunk of data to 1Password depending on the system it was entered on even if it is the "same" from the user's point of view.

We very strongly recommend that people stick to US-ASCII even though 1Password itself is entirely agnostic. This is because, for example, something like ö might be sent (by the operating system/keyboard) in different ways. We've seen cases where people switching from a US to German keyboard find that the Master Passwords no longer work even though they are typing the same things. So unless you stick to one platform and keyboard layout, the only really safe bet is to stick with old-fashioned US-ASCII.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

• harryharryharry
    harryharryharry
    Community Member
    Options

What is US-ASCII??

• mverde
    Options

US-ASCII is a character set that was based on the English alphabet. As a character set, it was very narrow in scope and didn't provide enough characters to include alphabets other than English. It has been superseded and surpassed by UTF-8 (which is backwards compatible with US-ASCII).

The expanded scope of UTF-8 allows for the possibility of characters that look the same but are represented by different codes (and thus treated differently by a computer). As @saad mentioned above, this ambiguity can cause problems when you switch from one keyboard and language combination to another.

This discussion has been closed.