Synching problem: iCloud Desktop to laptop not working, iPhone and iPad OK

Options
Myname
Myname
Community Member

Newbie to 1Password.
Mountain Lion (10.8.5) on desktop (Mac Pro) and laptop (MBP). Up to date iOS on mobiles (7.1.1).
Using iCloud to sync between desktop (my "primary" machine) and laptop, iPhone and iPad.
Only problem is, the iPad and iPhone are synching fine from iCloud, as far as I can tell (new passwords are showing up). However the laptop will not update???

I saw something mentioning that there are 2 different versions of 1Password and depending where purchased (I bought from agile bits direct), iCloud may not work?? I don't understand that, but obviously I need to be able to sync my devices and want to use one method for all, not iCloud for mobile and something else entirely for the laptop, that makes no sense. And more importantly, sounds like a great way to add complexity and accidentally sync the wrong way and lose passwords etc.

Suggestions on best way to sync to computers and mobile devices in one go? Please, no Dropbox though.

Thanks!!

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Myname,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble getting things synced up here! Now, there are a few very basic things that we need to check before we get into the more detailed troubleshooting:

• Please ensure that you are logged in with the same iCloud account on all computers and devices. (If you're like me and have somehow collected several, this could be where things are getting tangled!)
    • Please ensure that 'Documents and Data' is enabled for iCloud on all devices.

Once you've confirmed that this is all set up correctly, let's reset iCloud sync to give things a bit of a kickstart:

• On your iOS devices, open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync > Sync Service and tap 'Disable Sync’.

• On the Mac, open 1Password 4 for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from iCloud and confirm that you want to disable sync.

• Restart the Mac and iOS devices.

• On the Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and enable iCloud.

• Wait about 20 minutes to give iCloud time to run the initial sync to all devices.

• Go back into the iOS app and re-enable iCloud sync. It should work this time.

Please let me know how this works!

• Myname
    Myname
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

Thanks for responding!
    Actually, perhaps I wasn't very clear. Synching between my desktop and iOS devices, using iCloud, is working. The problem is synching between my desktop and laptop (both Mac and both OS 10.8.5).

I did start going through the above sequence then realized it was for issue with iOS sync. The very strange thing is this:

I'm logged into iCloud on both the desktop and laptop with the same account (Apple ID and password are the same). I checked this by signing in while in iCloud in System Preferences.

However, on the iPad and iPhone (which as I say are synching just fine through iCloud), when I go to Settings>iCloud>Account the Apple ID is correct, the same as the Apple ID on desktop and laptop, BUT the password is different. Or rather I should say, as I can't actually see the password, just a row of dots indicating the number of characters in the password, there are a different number of characters in the password on the iOS devices. Counting the number of dots does indicate it could be another password I used quite frequently (one reason I'm using 1Password!!), but when I tried to sign into Apple using that old password, I couldn't log in?? BUT, as I say, the iOS devices seem to be synching just fine, so I have no idea if that means anything!!

I'll run the above procedure and do the
    "Check the box to remove the data from iCloud and confirm that you want to disable sync."
    on the laptop too.
    I'll come back and post what happened.

Thanks

• Myname
    Myname
    Community Member
    Options

Did the steps you suggested, including on the laptop. Desktop and iOS devices still seem to be synching fine, despite the strange thing of the password I mentioned (of course till I add or change a password I guess I won't know for sure, but seems fine). However the laptop (which is definitely connected to the same Apple ID account) is still not synching.
    Is this because I can't set the desktop as "primary" iCloud source and the laptop as "secondary"? It seems like the laptop can't merge data to the iCloud then download the merged data. Does that make sense?
    On the laptop, in Preferences, when I go to sync with iCloud, I now get a message that there is existing data in the iCloud and that it will merge the data (which it doesn't) and now it's saying "never synced".

• laughlin
    laughlin
    Community Member
    Options

Go to iCloud.com -> Click your name -> Account Settings -> Advanced -> Reset Documents & Data -> Reset Documents & Data again. Restart all devices associated with your Apple ID that use iCloud syncing.

For screenshots and detailed description you can read about it here http://www.metalfirestudios.com/blog/force-icloud-reset

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Myname,

I'm sorry to hear that you're still having trouble here!

BUT the password is different. Or rather I should say, as I can't actually see the password, just a row of dots indicating the number of characters in the password, there are a different number of characters in the password on the iOS devices.

The number of dots displayed here is generic. It will show the same number whether your password is 3 digits or 33. If your AppleID is the same, then you should be good to go.

We'll need to take a closer look at your system here to determine where things are getting tangled up. Could you please send us a Diagnostics Report from both your laptop and your desktop?

http://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/diagnostic-report.html

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

This discussion has been closed.