Secure Notes

Options
degraaffray
degraaffray
Community Member

Hi All,

I would be interested to have others thoughts on the secure notes screen, whereby all the secure notes are visible from the opening screen.

I have some passwords in these notes (router and HA system log ins) and would personally prefer these to be hidden until that particular secure note is opened.

As an example, I have my friend who I am going to give access to the guest network on my wi-fi who is standing next to me as I access secure notes to give him the password. All my other secure notes are now visible.

Just my opinion but I think as A "secure note" it should be just so until I choose to open it.

Regards

Ray.

Comments

• ag1pwun
    ag1pwun
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ray,

I'd like to be clear about your suggestion. On my initial secure notes screen each note title is listed in bold with the initial content of each note displayed underneath the title in a smaller, gray typeface. As to the visibility of the notes, are you referring to the title, the initial content line or both?

Obviously the titles would need to be listed so you could select the note to view or edit. Perhaps the display of the initial content could be removed. None of the nine secure notes that I currently have, most of which are fairly large, would really need to show the initial content line; I know from the title what the note contains.

This comment, if I understand it correctly, also applies to the Mac version.

Looking at the other categories I found that the Driver's License category also displays the license number in the category list. It would perhaps be better to hide that number and show the full name instead.

Regards,
    Steve

• degraaffray
    degraaffray
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Steve,

Yes I see what you mean with the bold and not bold lettering. The bold title is fine and as you say is needed to identify each not for opening. However, the details shown under the title are, in theory, secure and in my view should only be visible once the actual not required has been opened, in the same way as you would for a log in.

My concern is that these notes are secure and can (and do) contain personal information, and the content of the note, excluding the title to enable identification, should only be visible after actually opening it.

I agree it is the same on the Mac version but I wasn't involved with the beta testing on that, and I believe the same issue is applicable there also, albeit I slide the pane all the way to the left which minimises the information visible, which can't be done in Android.

Hope this makes sense and just feel that secure should really mean secure unless you opt to open a specific log in or note.

Regards

Ray

• mverde
    Options

Hi Ray,

I think that you make a valid point about secure notes. Given the general purpose nature of secure notes, we can't really anticipate how sensitive the information within a note will be. I will pass on your feedback to our development team.

In the meantime, have you considered using other item types for storing this information (where appropriate)? For example, there is a wireless router item type that should provide all of the fields that you would need to store the information for your Wi-Fi network. Let me know if I can help in this regard.

Cheers,
    Michael

• degraaffray
    degraaffray
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your feedback. Yes I understand and agree with your comment relating to the router specific password container, but only used this as an example. I have the PC version and this is not an issue, it only seems so in other platforms (or versions).

My point was this information could be anything personal, from an impending appointment to a secret liaison's phone number (no I don't use it for that). I would happily show someone the product on my Android device to promote it to them, but would not be able to click on the notes category ("oh you can store secure notes etc. in here") as by clicking on the parent route folder all my information is immediately visible. You get my point that secure should mean secure until selected otherwise (clicking an individual note), which currently I do believe is slightly compromised on certain platforms.

Anyway, I don't want to labour my point as it is only an opinion on a very minor point, and with this said, I still think it is a great product that I am happy to use and continue testing and noting any anomalies.

Many thanks.

Ray.

• mverde
    Options

Hi Ray,

I am glad to hear that you are enjoying the app and grateful to have you as part of our beta team. Your point was well-communicated and well-received. I've made a note of this for our development team. Thanks again!

Cheers,
    Michael

This discussion has been closed.