Feature Request: Add cross-vault search to make Logins more accessible

Options
joliver
joliver
Community Member
edited February 2014 in Mac

I recently switched to using the "vaults" technique to help separate and segregate which passwords I use. For example, I have a work vault and personal vault. (I actually have about 6 of them, but for the purposes of this post, 2 should illustrate the point.)

Vaults are a wonderful way to separate and segregate information, but they're terrible when your trying to login because you constantly have to switch between them and remember what's where (although that's not typically a problem). Mostly, it's just the hassle of switching between vaults and how slow that makes logins compared to keeping everything in a single vault.

A possible solution might simply be to prefix the vault name to the item when it's displayed in 1Password Mini after I press CMD+\ for any given website login. This would work for all vaults that are currently unlocked. Perhaps any vaults that are locked it would have the items greyed out with a padlock next to them? Yes, it makes 1Password mini a little bigger, but the one thing I've got plenty of on my laptop is screen real estate. This makes keeping vaults much more effective. I suppose items that you didn't want for auto-login could be flagged as such to prevent them from being displayed in the 1Password Mini dropdown.

All of this is (hopefully) a simple feature request to make vaults less painful. I may simply move everything back into a single vault and use tags to help segregate items and only using vaults for sharing (which is still painful).

Another potential solution I just thought of was, what if the vault used for sharing had a "linked copy" of an item. So vaults become the primary sharing mechanism. For example, I could decide which items to share with other people and I could put them in a labelled vault. These items would simply be "pointers" to the items in my main vault and would automatically synchronized as I made changes to them. In this way I could use vaults for sharing by. I just keep the main item in my master/primary vault and then the shared vault has a sync'd copy (automatically maintained by 1Password).

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @joliver,

Thanks so much for providing your thoughts here! You're not the only person who would like the ability to search across all vaults and I'm happy to add your vote to the feature request.

Vaults are a completely new feature to 1Password, and we very much appreciate your patience as we work out the kinks, and polish up the details to make vaults as powerful and user-friendly as they can be!

• ctwise
    ctwise
    Community Member
    Options

+4 billion on this one. I segregate my work logins from my personal logins and it's incredibly annoying to have to switch back and forth between vaults from one web property to the next.

Like joliver, I'd love for all logins to appear in the 1Password Mini dropdown.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ctwise,

Thanks so much for adding your feedback here, I'll add your vote to the list. :)

• amadeusp
    amadeusp
    Community Member
    Options

I also would love to be able to search all vaults!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for your interest in this, @amadeusp. Your "vote" is now on the list, too. :)

• Johnny Petersen
    Johnny Petersen
    Community Member
    Options

I don't mind having to switch to save a login to specific vault, but when managing a lot of vaults, it would be helpful to be able to search across all vaults when I need to so I can locate which vault I saved that login in if I forgot or if I accidentally saved it to the wrong vault. Currently have to do the same search in each vault until I find it.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Tallying your vote for this, too, Johnny. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.