Password generator with mini-extension creates a new entry . . . why??

Options
curtisinoc
curtisinoc
Community Member

New user of 1Password here and loving it so far (switched from another password program yesterday) . .

Question: When I use the Safari mini-extension to generate a password and then "copy/fill", I noticed that it creates a new entry (sometimes several entries) in my 1Password vault under "Categories > Password". I didn't see the need for these "duplicate entries" since those passwords were already updated in my other entries for that login site (hope this makes sense). I ultimately deleted all of those new entries that 1Password automatically created . . . then panicked, wondering if I shouldn't have deleted those.

What is the reason for those automatic entries? Is it okay to delete those "duplicate" entries?

Hope this makes sense and thanks in advance for any answers.

Comments

• Ledgem
    Ledgem
    Community Member
    Options

Consider this an unofficial answer as I don't work for AgileBits, but my thought is that it's a safety feature. I've generated passwords for websites before and then had situations where 1Password didn't create a login as the account was created. This occurs far less frequently on 1Password 4 than it did on 1Password 3. Other times, the login that is created saved the incorrect fields (such as if the account creation involved a lot of information fields). Of course, there are also times that I screw up and tell 1Password not to make a new login entry. Having the password that was generated automatically saved to 1Password allows you to still log in to your account despite any of those issues.

If 1Password has a login with the correct password information, then it's perfectly fine to delete the generated password from the "Passwords" category.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

You can delete duplicate passwords from the Passwords category easily by going to 1P4 > Help > Tools > Remove Redundant Generated Passwords. The password stored in that Passwords category should be those not specifically linked to a login item using the same URL.

Like @Ledgem I've found the Passwords category an invaluable safety net at times. ;)

Stephen

• curtisinoc
    curtisinoc
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @Ledgem and @stephen_C

This discussion has been closed.