Chrome Extension Requires Repeated Reinstallation - OS X and Windows

grantdoug
grantdoug
Community Member

I just posted this review on the Chrome Store.
As Linda Gurley has written, the Chrome extension requires repeated re-installation.
This occurs for me on both OS/X Chrome and Windows 7 Chrome. Now that I know how to correct, I do this every time I reopen Chrome:
1. Delete 1P Extension
2. Close Chrome
3. Open 1Password, and use Preferences to Install Chrome Extension (don't use the Chrome Store)
4. Repeat.. repeat.. repeat..
Agilebits has three entries on the Chrome Store, which don't indicate the version. That's an annoyance which should be corrected.
Yes, I've followed all the help guidelines offered by Agilebits. Since the problem occurs on both Mac and Windows platforms, perhaps it is related to sync?

Comments

• Hi @grantdoug,

Sorry to hear about the trouble with the Chrome extension!

This occurs for me on both OS/X Chrome and Windows 7 Chrome. Since the problem occurs on both Mac and Windows platforms, perhaps it is related to sync?

Do you use Chrome extension sync? If so, that's the problem.

The browser extension for 1Password 4 has been completely redesigned, and as such, it is no longer compatible with the Windows app. We are working on big update to the Windows app (which is currently in beta testing) that will make use of the new extension, but until it is released, you will need to disable Chrome extension sync (chrome://settings) and install the correct extension for each operating system.

Agilebits has three entries on the Chrome Store, which don't indicate the version.

Here is some info about the three versions:

1. Extension for 1Password 3 for Mac and 1Password 1 for Windows. link

2. Extension for 1Password 4. link

3. Beta version of the 1Password 4 extension. link

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. :)

• gstep
    gstep
    Community Member

I am having problems download a Chrome extension for my macbook as well.

Click the link for Extension for 1password.
    An Error has occurred -- Download interrupted.

I don't believe that I have ever successfully downloaded the extension, unlike the original poster who mentions re-installing.

Thank you for your help!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @gstep,

Are you downloading the extension directly from our website here: https://agilebits.com/browsers/index.html or from the Chrome web store?

Please try restarting your Mac and downloading a fresh version of the extension from our website. Does this help?

• Antoun
    Antoun
    Community Member

Hi Megan and the Agile Bits team,

In a way, I am glad to see that I am not the only one having problem with my Chrome extension.
    Here is the error message popping out when I try to download the Chrome extension either from your website or from the app 1Password v4.4:
    "Package incorrect. Détails : "Cannot load extension with file or directory name metadata. Filenames starting with "" are reserved for use by the system."." Sorry for the few words in French.
    I have juste upgraded my Macbook Pro from 10.8 to 10.9.3, I have checked all about Gatekeeper and it is clear.

Thank you for your help !

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Antoun,

I do apologize that you're having difficulty with the Chrome extension. Have you tried downloading the 1Password 4 extension directly from the Chrome Web Store?

• Antoun
    Antoun
    Community Member

Hi Megan, yes I have tried to but I have received the same error message. Do not know what to do next, and it seems that I am not the only user encountering this issue.
    Thank you @Megan‌ anyway for your help.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Antoun,

We'll need to take a closer look at your system here to determine where things are getting tangled up. Could you please send us a Diagnostics Report?

http://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/diagnostic-report.html

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• Antoun
    Antoun
    Community Member

Hi @Megan‌,

Email sent with my diagnostics Report ! Thanks in advance for your help

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2014

Hi @Antoun,

Thanks for sending that Report in! I took a quick look in our system, but I was unable to find an email from the address you attached to your forum account. If you could send me a private message with the address that you used to send in the Report, I'd be happy to track it down and ensure that it gets answered quickly. Found the report! :)

• alexkli
    alexkli
    Community Member

I got the exact same issue:

Cannot load extension with file or directory name _metadata. Filenames starting with "_" are reserved for use by the system.

Same issue, regardless if I install from https://agilebits.com/browsers/index.html or from the chrome webstore https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/1password/aomjjhallfgjeglblehebfpbcfeobpgk

• Hi @alexkli,

Could you also email us a Diagnostics Report from your Mac, along with a link to this discussion, to: support+forum@agilebits.com

A brief comment here mentioning that you've sent the report would also be helpful. Thanks in advance!

• alexkli
    alexkli
    Community Member

I solved it! I had an old Chrome version (29.x something), after updating it to the latest 36 it worked.

(I think I once disabled automatic Chrome updates as they filled my hard disk like crazy).

• I'm glad to hear that you fixed it. :)

Please let us know if you have any other questions. We're always happy to help!

• iapad
    iapad
    Community Member

Hi @grantdoug,
    Thanks your suggestion worked for me.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @iapad,

I'm so glad to hear that you found the solution to your issue! We're here if you have any further questions. :)

This discussion has been closed.