Two icons in menu bar - how to get rid of one?

Options
prop
prop
Community Member

Hello,

I have two "key" icons in my Mac's menu bar. I have tried to see why two instances are running, but I have not been able to figure this out.

I have 1Password browser extensions installed for FireFox, Chrome, and Safari - in case it matters.

Could I please request some assistance with this? Thank you.!

Comments

• Hey @prop, check out this support article:

Multiple 1Password Icons

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @prop.

I hope you've resolved your two-key menu bar issue with the help of the article @JasperP referred you to. If there's anything more we can help you with please let us know!

• prop
    prop
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there. Unfortunately, it did not. I do not have 1password version 3 installed, nor do I have duplicate (or old) extensions installed on any of my browsers... Is there anything else I can try? This problem persists after reboot. Thanks.

• @prop Are you using the Mac App Store version? Or the AgileBits website version? Do you, or have you ever had both versions installed?

• prop
    prop
    Community Member
    Options

I've got the website version. I do not think I've ever had the MAS one.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @prop.

Did you run an earlier beta version of 1P4?

Please run this command in a Terminal window and post its output:

launchctl list | grep agile

Thanks!

• prop
    prop
    Community Member
    Options

I believe I did run a previous version. Here is the output:

277 - 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper
    284 - 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper

• 2 ws.agile.1PasswordAgent

I can get rid of one by typing "kill 284", but:

• which one is appropriate to kill?
    • how can I prevent it starting the next time I boot?

Thanks.

• Jasper
    edited November 2013
    Options

@prop If you're sure that it's the AgileBits website version (4.0.9) you are using, try running these commands:

launchctl stop 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper

launchctl remove 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @prop.

In addition to what @JasperP suggested please give this a try:

• Go to Finder and choose Go > Go to Folder… and enter ~/Library/LaunchAgents
    • Delete ws.agile.1PasswordAgent.plist, if it exists
    • Choose Go > Go to Folder… and enter ~/Library/Application Support/1Password
    • Delete the Agent folder, if it exists
    • Restart your Mac

It looks like 1PasswordAgent from 1Password 3 is still configured to run, which is unnecessary with 1Password 4. Those steps will remove it.

• prop
    prop
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. I have done both of the above and the problem still persists. Perhaps I should remove the app completely and re-install?

• @prop Still?

So you get the same thing as before when you run this:

launchctl list | grep agile

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @prop.

So we can easily isolate the cause of this and suggest a specific solution, could you please send a Diagnostics Report from your Mac that's having the problem? Instructions are here:

Sending us your Diagnostics Report to help us help you!

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forum, but do include a link to this topic in the email so we can "connect the dots" when we receive it. A quick comment here mentioning that you've sent it would also be helpful. Thank you!

• prop
    prop
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @JasperP, the grep output is
    257 - 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper
    264 - 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper

I have sent the diag report. Thanks.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2013
    Options

Hello again, @prop. :)

I've replied to your email with instructions for resolving the problem. The MAS version of 1P4 had previously been installed/configured and was still interfering with the website version.

• fischebc
    fischebc
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issue....

356 - 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper
    361 - 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper
    382 - ws.agile.1PasswordAgent

Can anyone help? Please.

• Hey @fischebc,

Are you using the Mac App Store version? Or the AgileBits website version? Please post the version number as well.

And do you, or have you ever had both versions installed?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @fischebc.

Have you tried what's suggested in this article?

Multiple 1Password Icons

If that doesn't help please try the steps suggested in post #10 above. If you're still stuck after that please email us a Diagnostics Report; refer to post #13 above. Thanks!

• Shadow
    Shadow
    Community Member
    Options

I am having a similar problem. I downloaded 4.2 then found two icons in the menu bar. I moved 4.1 to the trash and that did not remove the icon. What to do?

• Shadow
    Shadow
    Community Member
    Options

ws.agile.1PasswordAgent.plist does not exist and Agent folder does not exist as stated earlier in one of the posts.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Shadow,

I'm sorry you've ended up with two 1Password icons in your menu bar. It sounds like you may have downloaded and ran 1Password 4.2 from our website after you've been using version 4.1.2 from the Mac App Store. Is that correct? All 1Password 4 updates for the Mac App Store version will only come directly from Apple. 4.2.2 from our website is not an update for 4.1.2 from the Mac App Store.

Please let us know if you want to be using the Mac App Store version (currently 4.1.2) or the website version (currently 4.2.2), then we'll give you instructions so it's the only version running (with just one menu bar icon). Thanks!

• graysonw
    graysonw
    Community Member
    Options

I am having a similar problem. I originally had the version from the website, but then purchased the full version from MAS about one month ago. It has worked perfectly until this morning. When I try and use 1P Mini with the keyboard shortcut, it kicks back an error once the password populates and then Mini requires me to retype my master password. This is also when the second icon shows up on the Menu Bar. Spotlight search and Finder results only show the one version of 1Password in my Applications folder, and I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Chrome browser extension.

Thanks for any help you can provide,
    GW

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @graysonw,

Please email us a Diagnostics Report, referring to instructions in post #13 above, and we'll be able to help you get this problem fixed right away. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.