Master password not recognized and dropbox synch fails

Options
Kin206
Kin206
Community Member

1password does not recognize my master password. I cannot log in on my mac, ipad or iphone. I am sure I am using the correct master password. I followed the steps suggested in the User Guide. I then 'started over',,created a new master password and tried to synch with dropbox. But that step requires a master password and neither the new one I set up when I started over or the original password work. And of course, I have become totally dependent on 1Password.

1Password 4.4; OS X 10.9.3

Comments

• Kin206
    Kin206
    Community Member
    Options

a day later and no ideas from forum readers. I log in using the master password I created yesterday. Then I try to 'restore' from a back up dated 3 days ago (when all was working fine). I asks for a password. I give it my new password we move forward. Then it wants a password again. Neither the new or the original password will work. So I try going back to an older backup (remember, I didn't forget my old master password, it just ceased working). Now I when I restore it asks if it want to install the Safari extension (which I had disabled when I changed the password yesterday per the on-line instructions). Neither yes nor no work - whatever I answer, 1password shuts down.

Any ideas?

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited June 2014
    Options

Your backups will only be accessible with the password you originally used to create them. There isn't any back door or reset available to open the data if you don't have the password. If you really don't have that password, then there isn't anyone who can help you, I'm afraid to say. There is a list of suggestions for people to try on the AgileBits site, but I think you have said you already tried them. If not, post back and I'll see if I can find that list.

Sorry not to have better news.

• Kin206
    Kin206
    Community Member
    Options

Umm. but it was working and I accessed it several times each day. I don't think I 'forgot' the password. I am concerned the files are corrupt. I can open the program and get to the menu option to restore - but the program quits before I am asked for a password.

Digging further, I have three vaults - two are synchronized with dropbox. I can open one of them with its password. Of course that doesn't give me access to the other (the Primary vault). The file for it, the Primary vault) is dated May 5, 2014. What does that date refer to?

Is there a file in another location I can use?

and what is the update I downloaded yesterday? Could that have something do so with my problem?

thank you very much!

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited June 2014
    Options

I'm sorry I am at the limit of my understanding of your issue. If there is a file corruption problem and you are sure you are correctly entering your password, I expect that some one from AgileBits will be along to lend a hand. The weekend maybe slowing their ability to respond. Have you tried emailing your problem to the support email address?

I predict that you will be asked to supply a diagnostic report, so you might get a jump by doing that now. Instructions are here. Don't post the report in the forum.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hi @Kin206‌

We've received your Diagnostic Report - thanks for sending it in! Someone from the support team will get back to you as soon as possible with some details.

This discussion has been closed.