how to delete vault

Options
tuni12
tuni12
Community Member

simply - I have 2 vaults ("primary" and "One Password" (names assigned by 1 PW4 not me) - want to delete one of them, unfortunately used same PW for both - now have 2x the amount of data being sync'd & backed up. Is there a simple way to delete one of them, and which one? The "primary" appears to be the one I see in my preferences and in library and in Dropbox ....but it has twice the amount of data it should.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Hi @tuni12,

I explained this in post #12.

Having the same passwords for both vaults doesn't impact how they work, it doesn't merge them or anything else like that.

Primary is the default vault name we use, the other one is not something we created by default. It sounds like you double-clicked a separate data file and 1Password created a new vault based on that data file's name. If it is called One Password.agilekeychain, it'd created a new vault called One Password.

now have 2x the amount of data being sync'd & backed up.

Does that mean one of the vaults have twice as more data as it should or do you mean you have more than one vault needed?

Can you tell me which vault has the right data? You can switch vaults via the 1Password Menu > Switch to Vault. Look at the content and then switch to the other vault. Figure out which vault has the right data. After that, you can delete the vault that you don't need as explained in the other thread I mentioned via the 1Password Menu > Delete Vault (name).

• sejtam
    sejtam
    Community Member
    Options

Hmm. I wanted to start over, so I created a new 'empty' vault, switched to it, but it does not let me delete the Primary vault. How do I get to delete the primary vault and start from scratch

• sejtam
    sejtam
    Community Member
    Options

I cannot find any agilebits parts in ~/Library/Containers.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

If you really want to start again from scratch this knowledge base article will help you do so.

Stephen

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited June 2014
    Options

I'm bumping this older post because I have the same question, but MikeT's answer above won't work for me.

I've created (by way of a script) a bad (test) vault, and switching to it causes 1P4 to crash. So I need to delete the vault without switching to it. How can this be accomplished?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @MrC,

Unfortunately there is currently no way to delete a vault without switching to it. The workaround here is still to start fresh. Simply use Folder Sync (or Dropbox/iCloud) to ensure that all your 'good' vaults are synced somewhere.

This should get you sorted out, but if you hit any snags, we'd be happy to help! :)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

That's a pretty rough workaround. Maybe you can add it to your enhancement list. Users should be able to delete a vault without having to switch to it.

I was able to restore from a backup.

Tangentially, I was surprised that a bogus 1pif import crashed 1P4. Maybe so more input validation is required.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MrC,

You're right, it's not the neatest workaround. I'll be happy to pass your thoughts along to our developers. :)

This discussion has been closed.