re-enable sync but keep keychain currently existing on Dropbox?

Options
brabin
brabin
Community Member

I have a Mac and iPhone at home that are set up to sync via Dropbox. I have another Mac at work that has been using a much older, non-synced version of this keychain (firewall restrictions on accessing Dropbox at work required me to turn off sync, but now I have permission to use it again). So I would now like to be able to sync again to Dropbox from my work machine. I have exported the small number of new items that were added to the older non-synced database so they can be imported later, and now I want to switch my primary vault to the synced version already existing on Dropbox. However, when I go to enable sync on the work machine, it says it will overwrite the keychain that exists currently on Dropbox with the out-of-date local database, which is not the behavior I want. Is there a way I can tell 1PWD to use the keychain that already exists on Dropbox as my primary vault? I know I was given the option to choose a keychain synced on Dropbox when I launched 1PWD for the first time, but I don't see a way to reset the app to access that option again. Surely there's an easy way to do this?

Barry

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Barry ( @brabin ),

I'd be happy to help you get all synced up here, but I just want to confirm a few details about your 1Password ecosystem first, to ensure you're getting the best instructions:

• What are the version numbers of 1Password and your operating system for all computers and devices running 1Password?
    • Just to confirm: your most up-to-date database exists on your home Mac and Dropbox, and the newer Logins from your work machine have been exported into a separate file.

The more detail you can provide, the more quickly we'll be able to get you sorted out! :)

• brabin
    brabin
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

My home Mac, work Mac and iPhone are all running the latest versions of Mavericks and iOS, respectively, and all are running the latest versions of 1PWD.

Correct, my most up-to-date database exists on the home Mac and iPhone, synced via Dropbox.

I have exported the logins that need to be saved from the work machine into a .1pif file.

Thanks for your help!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Barry ( @brabin ),

I really hate to be difficult here, but actual version numbers would be really helpful here, particularly for 1Password. I'm a bit confused by the message you're seeing indicating that 1Password will over-write the data in Dropbox. In 1Password 4 you should see a message that advises you that the vaults will be merged, not completely overwritten.

However, if you would simply like to start fresh with 1Password on your work machine, our Starting Over guide can help you with that.

• brabin
    brabin
    Community Member
    Options

OK, I used the starting over procedure and pointed to the Dropbox keychain, then imported the new logins and all is well.

Thanks!

• Jasper
    Options

On behalf of Megan, you're welcome. Please let us know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.