Search within items?

Options
jochenneese
jochenneese
Community Member

Hi,
I just came across the fact that there is a feature where 1P for Mac is less capable than 1P for IOS: Searching.

With the new version of 1P for IOS a I can search for strings within e.g. secure note items and get a list of all matching items as a result. The same seems not possible with 1P for Mac. Can that be true or do I miss something obvious?

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

I'm using 4.3.1.BETA-3. However, it was 4.3 that introduced the ability to search within secure notes. If I type within the search box a string that appears within a secure note the note is displayed. Does that not work for you? If not, have you updated to version 4.3?

Stephen

• jochenneese
    jochenneese
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, oh I forgot to mention that I use the latest versions. That's why I'm so surprised

• Meek
    Options

Hi @jochenneese‌,

I am sorry to hear about the trouble with 1Password! Lets figure out whats going on.

Could you please send us a Diagnostics Report?

http://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/diagnostic-report.html

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :grinning:

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• nachbar
    nachbar
    Community Member
    Options

I was able to find the secure notes that contain a string in 1Password 3, and 1Password 4 does the same thing. However, what I cannot figure out how to do is to show the searched-and-found text WITHIN the secure note, which would highlight the searched for text so I don't have to manually scan the entire note to find it. Am I missing something?

• jochenneese
    jochenneese
    Community Member
    Options

Hi nachbar,
    I have not found anything that does what you are looking for. This looks like a good enhancement request...

But now I have found the solution for my original problem: I have to choose the "Search all fields" option (I use the German version, so this string is just an estimate how the option in the English UI version might be called). Then the records with the search string are found.
    That's good, even though it would be better to make this "search all fields" option make the default...

Regards Jochen

• Jasper
    edited November 2014
    Options

Hi @nachbar & @jochenneese,

You can search within a secure note by pressing ⌘F while viewing it or select Edit > Find > Find... from the OS X menu bar. :)

• jochenneese
    jochenneese
    Community Member
    Options

But for doing so (use CMD-F) the secure item must be in edit mode. This is rather annoying as far as the necessary user interactions are concerned. Moreover, sometimes the Find (CMD-F) menu item is greyed out; I have not yet found the rules behind 1P's decision whether or not to grey out this item.

In my view, it should work like this: If there is a search item in the search field and I highlight one of the records / notes where this string has been found, 1P should highlight all the places where this string has been found within the note.

• Jasper
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hi @jochenneese,

The secure note needs to be "in focus" — simply click on the secure note's content to do this. Then, ⌘F will work correctly. :)

I will also pass along your request for search improvements to our developers. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.