Feature Request: Password Generator → more character > 30 [increased to 50 characters in 4.4.1]

Options
theElvis
theElvis
Community Member
edited June 2014 in Mac

The password generator in chrome currently only allows 30 character.
Is there a setting (or hack for terminal?) anwhere to extend this to more character?

Comments

• Hi @theElvis,

This is currently a limit n the 1Password mini, we're working on extending it to 50 in the future. For now, if you need a longer password, you can open the main 1Password app to get that.

• theElvis
    theElvis
    Community Member
    Options

thank you, that would be great! :)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're most welcome, @theElvis, on behalf of @MikeT.

• chazzunokuthunuchtec
    Options

I noticed that the 1Password 4 for Mac browser extension password generator seems to have a 30-character password length limit; whereas the generator in the main app allows up to 50 characters. Can the extension (and mini) please allow a 50-character password length?

• @hazzunokuthunuchtec In Password Generator length, @MikeT wrote:

This is a known issue for the 1Password mini itself. […] We're working on getting the 50 set in the mini, we're just fighting the max width issue at the moment.

• chazzunokuthunuchtec
    Options

Thank you! I'll wait for the fix.

• Thomas
    Thomas
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for the fix. In todays times, passwords can't be too short. And if they're random anyway, I'd also prefer 50 chars than 30. Currently I do generate them in the main app and copy/paste. Would be much nicer if I could do it from the menu bar.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the vote, @Thomas. :)

• bguse
    bguse
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

are there any news on this Feature?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @bguse.

There's no additional information about this right now.

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    Options

Thomas wrote:

Currently I do generate [passwords] in the main app and copy/paste. Would be much nicer if I could do it from the menu bar.

I would also like to see this feature added.

Plus, is there a reason to limit numbers and symbols to 10 each?

Thank you,

David

• theElvis
    theElvis
    Community Member
    Options

btw. if you tackle this topic and extend passwords to at least 50 character you can may be limit the password length, if the password input field on the website is limited, too! :)

• lisinge
    lisinge
    Community Member
    Options

This would be very nice

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2014
    Options

It's planned, @lisinge. :)

@MikeT says:

This is a temporary limitation due to the maximum width we can have in that style. We plan to fix this in a future update by redesigning it to be more flexible.

• theElvis
    theElvis
    Community Member
    Options

unfortunately forgotten in the current new release 4.2 :(

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It's still planned, @theElvis, not forgotten. :)

• Thomas
    Thomas
    Community Member
    edited May 2014
    Options

Any news on that, @sjk‌?

I just started using the Watchtower extension (great idea BTW) in the new 1Password release.

As I don't want to use just 30 chars passwords when I can use 50 chars, my current workflow is as follows:

• Open site, login via 1Password and go to change password dialogue
    • Open 1Password mini and copy current password to copy buffer
    • Go to 1Password main application, click generate password
    • Copy generated password to copybuffer
    • Abort 1Password generate password dialogue, as I don't want to have lots of new useless passwords in 1Passwords Passwords section
    • Paste generated Password to vim/textedit/whatever (in case 1Password doesn't recognize my password change and doesn't prompt me for a password change dialogue)
    • Paste generated Password into the change password dialogue

As you see, this is quite a long and annoying process and really unworthy for a great app like 1Password. I don't know how you guys do it when using your software yourself, but this is super annoying.

And it could be so easy:

• Go to change Password Dialogue
    • Generate new password in the new passwords fields, paste the old one and let save 1Password the newly generated one.

That's it. Better, eh?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Nothing yet, @Thomas.

I'm glad you're liking the new Watchtower service in the 4.4 update.

As I don't want to use just 30 chars passwords when I can use 50 chars, …

The benefit of them being that long is questionable, e.g. here's a comment from our security expert's post:

The chances of cracking a random 23 character password (or 128 bit key) within the age of the universe using a billion supercomputers is so small that there there is no meaningful security gain in making it any larger.

Yet we still do intend on supporting 50 character length's 1Password mini's Password Generator.

… my current workflow is as follows:

• Open site, login via 1Password and go to change password dialogue
    • Open 1Password mini and copy current password to copy buffer

Are you then pasting it into a Current Password (or similar) field on the site's password change page?

• Go to 1Password main application, click generate password
    • Copy generated password to copybuffer
    • Abort 1Password generate password dialogue, as I don't want to have lots of new useless passwords in 1Passwords Passwords section

Which item are you editing to do that with?

My suggestion is to use the Shift-Command-E keyboard shortcut with the item you want to update selected in 1Password mini, which will open it with Edit mode in the main application. Generate your new 50 character password, save the item, then copy that new password.

• Paste generated Password to vim/textedit/whatever (in case 1Password doesn't recognize my password change and doesn't prompt me for a password change dialogue)

You'll be able to skip that step, with the new password already saved in the item and the old password one under show previously used passwords. And you might want to disable Automatically ask to save new Logins in the Browser tab of the Preferences window to not be prompted with the autosave window. I'm not sure how you'd be interacting with it.

• Paste generated Password into the change password dialogue

Copied earlier from the updated item.

The alternative workflow would be something like this:

• Open password change page on a site.
    • Open 1Password mini and copy current password from Login item you'll be changing it in.
    • Paste current password into Current Password field on page.
    • Reopen mini for the previously selected item and press Shift-Command-E to open it with Edit mode in the main app.
    • Generate new password, save item, copy new password.
    • Return to site's password change to paste new password in appropriate field(s).

And with Automatically ask to save new Logins disabled there's no autosave prompt to skip since you've already updated the item. However, it'll be bypassed if you still want to use it when creating new Login items (regardless of how/where the initial password is generated). But you could manually use Save new Login in 1Password mini instead.

I hope that's helpful until it's possible to generate your 50 character passwords directly in mini's Password Generator.

• Thomas
    Thomas
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @sjk‌,

first of all thanks for such an detailled reply, awesome support.

I was aware of the previously used passwords, but I wasn't aware of shortcuts existing in 1pasword mini, so that sounds like a viable option. I'll take a look into that.

By the way, still the workflow isn't too easy. Maybe you can think of supporting changing passwords better?

I could imagine that one could generate a new password and fill it in all passwords fields on a site and copy the old one to the copy buffer to manually overpast if 1pw didn't get the fields (old/new) right. Something like that?

Thanks again for the help.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It's always a pleasure to help, @Thomas.

We'll be updating the 1Password 4 keyboard shortcuts guide, including adding newer ones for 1Password mini. And we've got this one for changing passwords:

Updating your site's password

It doesn't cover generating them in the main application, e.g. if you prefer ones with 31-50 characters.

Yup, a workflow that combines filling of current and newly-generated password fields would be handy. @collide007 suggested one: here.

• theElvis
    theElvis
    Community Member
    Options

you are:
    (a bit slow..)
    but really really awesome! thank you very much for release of 4.4.1

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Glad to hear this is awesome for you, @theElvis, finally. :)

Now that this issue is resolved I'm going to close this topic, too.

This discussion has been closed.