Update PW in secondary vault

Options
Steinthal
Steinthal
Community Member

I created a secondary vault and followed this procedure to update passwords. However, 1P is always asking to save the changed password in the primary vault regardless which is the active one.

Is this a bug or am I using the wrong approach?

(Mavericks with 1Password 4, Version 4.4 (440002), Agile Web Store)

Comments

• Meek
    Options

Hi @Steinthal,

You are correct - currently 1Password will always offer to save your password in the primary vault. Since it is so easy to switch vaults (and sometimes forget which vault is active), we didn't want people to accidentally save a password to a secondary vault (perhaps shared with multiple other people). This would result in your personal password being available to everyone with access to the shared vault.

I agree, however, that it can be a bit of a pain to always need to specify which vault to save the new password in. We are looking into better ways of handling this.

• Steinthal
    Steinthal
    Community Member
    edited May 2014
    Options

Hi @Meek,

I use two vaults to keep my work and private passwords apart -- at least I try to. So, when I need to update a password in my work vault, I can't do that and 1Password instead wants to save a new entry to my private vault. If I accept, I need to copy either the complete entry or the new password and delete the entry in the private/primary vault. No very amusing and I also might forget to do these steps at all.

Since 1Password explicitly asks to update or create a new entry in my "primary vault" (see the image on blog.agilebits.com), I don't understand why it can't offer the option to update or create in the secondary (or whatever) vault. Especially when updating, 1Password is aware that I actually used my second vault (at least I guess that 1PW internally knows that), so updating a password could offer the correct vault.

I agree that you could forget which vault is active when you look for a login. However, the update dialog specifically states the name of the vault, so I think the chance to accidentally save to the "wrong" vault should be very low.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hi @Steinthal,

So, when I need to update a password in my work vault, I can't do that and 1Password instead wants to save a new entry to my private vault.

Try clicking the vault icon in the 1Password Save/Update Login window to switch to a different vault. There's an example in the last image in this guide:

Autosave/Update tips

I hope that helps. :)

• Steinthal
    Steinthal
    Community Member
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hi @sjk,

I've created a new family vault to share with my wife and could try the description to switch vaults. A little bit hidden but works perfectly. Thanks, that's what I was looking for! :-)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're welcome, @Steinthal.

I've noted in our tracker that vault switching was "a little bit hidden" for you. As @Meek mentioned earlier:

We are looking into better ways of handling this.

I'm glad what's currently there is what you were looking for. :)

This discussion has been closed.