Inquiry from Potential new user

Options
kisertn
kisertn
Community Member

Hello,

First, this is a not a complaint piece, but I may word poorly, so wanted to say up front I am seeking information. I use today eWallet. I am trying to move to 1Password for what I see are a wealth of nice-to-have features.

But...
I started to manually move my entries over today and I immediately ran into a problem. Unless I am missing something (I sure hope I am), I am finding 1Passwords categories and templates too restrictive. I have data that does not fit into any of the categories and templates that 1Password provides.

I realize I could, in theory, use Secure Notes. But that is not going to work for me. I have hundreds of similar-type entries that share many fields types. Forcing structured data into a free-form field is not the right thing to do.

In eWallet I am allowed to modify a base generic template and rename fields and alter the type of data that they store so that I can create a new structured template. Can I not do that in 1Password?

I was dismayed to see three category/templates that were so specific in nature (Wireless router, Server, Database) but nothing more broad that I could use for other hardware types (stereos, cars, cell phones, computers, etc.). Surely people are not using Secure Notes to store such things, seeing as how these items have many common elements (serial numbers, warranty expiration dates, purchase dates, purchase locations, MAC addresses, model numbers, manufacturer names, model names, support phone numbers, and on and on).

In the end, my question boils down to: Is there a mechanism where I can create a custom template for structured data entry, or I am l limited to the categories (I assume 1-to-1 relationship between categories to templates) I see when I press the "+" symbol?

Thanks,
-Neil

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

There currently is not a way to create custom categories, although you can create custom fields within a category. Custom categories are an often-requested feature for 1Password, and AgileBits is considering adding that capability, but there is no published timeline for when/if it will come.

I moved to 1Password about a year ago from a competitor that allows customizing categories. For me, I did manage to find sensible ways to move my data within the current structure, and I've been very happy with my choice.

You are not the only one who is being kept away by this restriction.

• kisertn
    kisertn
    Community Member
    Options

I did not realize I could create custom fields within a category, I'll take a look and see if that can work for me. Thank you for your response.

• Jasper
    edited June 2014
    Options

I'm glad hawkmoth's response was helpful. Please let us know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.