1P Firefox extension or 1P mini gets stuck

Options
lpn
lpn
Community Member
edited June 2014 in Mac

The newest stable versions of everything -- 1P (from the AgileBits website), the extension, OS X. Sometimes when trying to unlock 1P from the Firefox icon, after entering the correct password, a spinning ball starts rotating and the only way to stop it is either to stop Firefox and 1P mini; or (when the previous doesn't work) restart the machine. This started occurring when updating to the latest extension. Some possibly related entries from system.log are given below:

Jun 6 10:14:39 computername WindowServer[136]: disable_update_timeout: UI updates were forcibly disabled by application "1Password mini" for over 1.00 seconds. Server has re-enabled them. ... Jun 6 10:14:53 computername WindowServer[136]: disable_update_likely_unbalanced: UI updates still disabled by application "1Password mini" after 15.00 seconds (server forcibly re-enabled them after 1.00 seconds). Likely an unbalanced disableUpdate call. ... Jun 6 10:15:29 computername WindowServer[136]: common_reenable_update: UI updates were finally reenabled by application "1Password mini" after 50.97 seconds (server forcibly re-enabled them after 1.00 seconds)

Comments

• lpn
    lpn
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry for the formatting of my previous post. Here are some fresh logs from the same problem:

Jun 6 18:48:50 computername WindowServer[171]: common_reenable_update: UI updates were finally reenabled by application "1Password mini" after 67.06 seconds (server forcibly re-enabled them after 1.00 seconds) Jun 6 18:48:50 computername 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper[287]: void CGSUpdateManager::log() const: conn 0xf503: spurious update. Jun 6 18:48:54 computername 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper[287]: 441008 [EXT:0x7fe823451ca0:<OP4ExtensionHTTPConnection: 0x7fe823785f30>] M webSocketForURI: | [ES4] Extension connected Firefox-Extension 'resource://onepassword4-at-agilebits-dot-com / (null)'

and possibly
    Jun 6 18:50:35 computername kernel[0]: process WindowServer[171] caught causing excessive wakeups. Observed wakeups rate (per sec): 239; Maximum permitted wakeups rate (per sec): 150; Observation period: 300 seconds; Task lifetime number of wakeups: 225362

This is on a fresh Firefox profile with no other addons.

• lpn
    lpn
    Community Member
    Options

Reverting to the previous version of the 1P Firefox extension (thanks to Time Machine) fixes the problem.
    1P is giving me too much trouble since v3. I am using 1P since 2006, but as soon as I find a good replacement, I am done using 1P.

• lpn
    lpn
    Community Member
    Options

And yet another bit of troubleshooting -- the issue (with the current 1P addon) occurs more often when a particular site has more than one login.

• Jasper
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hi @lpn,

I'm very sorry to hear about the trouble with this! So we can investigate, could you please email us a Diagnostics Report from your Mac, along with a link to this discussion and your forum username, to: support+forum@agilebits.com

A brief comment here mentioning that you've sent the report would also be helpful. Thanks in advance!

• lpn
    lpn
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @JasperP,

Unfortunately, as I mentioned above, I no longer run the latest version of 1P or the Firefox addon. Because of the trouble these versions were giving me, I won't be willing install them again on my main machine. I don't have a second machine to play with at this time, buy whenever I get one, I may be able to produce the diagnostics reports. I believe that the system.log entries and the basic troubleshooting (this happens more often when there are more than 1 entry per site) that I gave you above should at least give you some hints about the cause of the issue.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @lpn,

Thanks for the followup. Hope you don't mind that I fixed the log output formatting in your original post.

Which versions of 1Password and its Firefox extension are you running now? I'm unsure if you reverted to 1Password 3 or an earlier version of 1Password 4.

We would still like to take a look at a Diagnostics Report, if you want to send one in, and are happy to work with you directly in email to resolve any issues you've been having with 1Password… even if you'd rather not (immediately) reinstall the latest version.

• lpn
    lpn
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @sjk: Once I can get another machine to run the newest versions, I will send you a disgnostics report.

I reverted back to 1P 4.4 and version 4.2.0 of the extension. My feeling is that the problem is caused by the extension, although it is strange that a subsubversion change (4.2.0 to 4.2.1) would cause something like this. One things for sure -- this happened more often on websites for which I have more than one login, and I don't think that it happened 1P was unlocked (it happened only when unlocking 1P from the extension button).

Searching Google for "disable_update_timeout: UI updates were forcibly disabled by application" messages seems that people have had simiral issues with other programs too, but just glancing at the discussions for the other programs, I didn't see a definite cause or solution for any of them. On my machine, though, I only have such entries from 1P (at least in the last week or so, for which I have the logs) and I never had such freezes with other programs.

• ugh
    ugh
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same problem.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks again, @lpn. With what you've already reported here plus the Diagnostics Report you'll be sending we should be able to get this issue isolated and resolved. I appreciate your help and patience with it!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ugh,

Can you describe more specifically what your problem is and mention which versions of OS X, 1Password, and its browser extension that you're running? Sending us a Diagnostics Report (see post #5) would also be helpful. Thank you!

This discussion has been closed.