Turn off Master Password

Options
BWH7
BWH7
Community Member

I've been using this program since its inception and I feel like back in the day there was an option to turn off the master password completely. In fact, I'm almost positive this was the case in the beginning. Not so these days. Personally, I'll take a chance at having my login information accessible to hackers or preying eyes if it means not having to type out a series of letters and numbers every time the program is opened up. I just feel like if a hacker can gain entry into my laptop then surely all is lost by that point and they can crack my 1password account and gain entry into whatever login and other information might be available. But to follow that line of thinking further, I don't really care if someone wants to login to say my eBay or Paypal account. If they buy something with my credit card I'll see it on my statement, cancel and get a new one. If they want to look at what I've been posting on say, "Yelp!" I don't really care. The problem I have is that I have to use 1password so regularly that typing in a PW every time becomes tedious and tiresome to put it mildly. I'd like to submit feedback to turn off the 1password master password entirely since it's not something I need, want and something I consider to be a genuine time waster. Also, the previous 1password user interface was more rich, bold, inviting and somehow less pale and anemic. It'd be nice to see the interior of the program get a facelift in the next version.

Comments

• BWH7
    BWH7
    Community Member
    Options

Quick update - After fiddling around with the program for a few minutes, I found there are ways to keep 1password unlocked but every time I log out or restart the computer it re-locks itself. The same thing goes the 1password program on my iPhone (constantly having to type in a keycode). It would just be nice to be able to keep this program free of a PW for those who desire it that way.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

There may possibly be others who share your view but I'm afraid I don't. What happens if someone steals my MacBook or phone and then immediately has access to all my passwords and confidential information? For me, it doesn't bear thinking about.

Stephen

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

In 1PW3 the master password could be stored in your main keychain. This option was removed in 1PW 4 for reasons that have been discussed.

But it is easy to set 1PW 4 so that it only requires the password on a login. Myself I remain logged in at all times, and don't turn my machine off very often, so I only enter the password about once a week, which is no great hardship.

I'm not sure about use on iOS, as the interaction with the operating system is more complicated. One can do a lot with a short keycode, but still need to enter the password moderately often.

• Jasper
    edited June 2014
    Options

every time I log out or restart the computer it re-locks itself

This is expected behaviour. We don't store the master password anywhere on your Mac, so you are required to enter it after logging out or restarting.

The same thing goes the 1password program on my iPhone (constantly having to type in a key code).

On iOS, you can change your auto-lock settings by going to Settings > Security. You can choose to use a PIN code rather than your master password.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited June 2014
    Options

I don't even want to think about being burglarized and having all my passwords open to the thief. If I weren't confident that my strong master password wasn't working, I would never store what I have stored in the application.

@BWH7 - why do you use the application at all if you have so little regard for the security of your information? Why not an ordinary unsecured database program? Or spread sheet?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Good questions, @hawkmoth. :)

This discussion has been closed.