1P4 and 1P3 through Dropbox?

Options
rsworden
rsworden
Community Member

I'm a fairly new user. My personal Mac (Mavericks) is running 1P4 from the App Store. I entered lots of Logins and set up to sync thru Dropbox, and it syncs to 1P4 on iOS just fine. I created multiple Vaults, intending to have a Personal vault, a Family vault (available thru one Dropbox to my wife), and a Work vault (available thru a second Dropbox to my work computer). I always strive for separation between personal data and work data.

My work Mac is running Mountain Lion until further notice, so I have to run 1P3 there (from the App Store). I set up the second Dropbox on it and it can see my Work.agilekeychain file just fine. My issue is: how to get 1P3 to "adopt" this Work vault? I realize 1P3 does not support multiple vaults, but a knowledgebase article seemed to imply that this should work. If I use Preferences > General > Your Data Stored In, it wants to merge or replace my data, which does work, but then does not update the other direction. (Double-click in Finder initiates the same behavior.) If I choose Use Dropbox, it creates 1Password.agilekeychain and puts my data into it and syncs it, it does not have an option to choose an existing keychain from Dropbox.

I could probably make this work, on the assumption that 1P4 is more flexible and could somehow "adopt" the Dropbox'ed 1Password.agilekeychain from 1P3... but I wanted to make my personal Mac the "master" that owns multiple vaults.

Is there a way to do what I am trying to do? Or does 1P3 need to be the master of its own data? Or can you provide some advice?

Thanks!

Comments

• rsworden
    rsworden
    Community Member
    Options

Update: I saw a hint about starting over and choosing the "Already a 1Password user" option. I tried that a couple different ways, and chose the Work.agilekeychain vault in Dropbox, but that got an error. When choosing the Dropbox option, there is no opportunity to choose a file, it always creates the 1Password.agilekeychain file.

So... as a workaround, in the Dropbox folder, I renamed 1Password.agilekeychain to _OLD. and created a symbolic link named 1Password.agilekeychain that points to Work.agilekeychain. This is successfully syncing bidirectionally, so apparently the file format is compatible between 3 and 4. I imagine this method is not supported, but it's working for now. I'd still like to find out if there is a standard way to do this.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

I know for sure for iOS and probably for the Mac version also that the 1Password.aglekeychain file must use the default name. Yours has been changed. which is the likely source of your current problem. I believe that previous version allowed changing the name of this file, and I've also seen enough posts about this that I also know the developers are aware that some users would like to have that option reinstated. I can't say that I've seen any promises that it will change, though.

• rsworden
    rsworden
    Community Member
    Options

1P4 is the one that set the names on my Vault files. I'm trying to get 1P3 to recognize one of those as its "primary" vault. There are other posts here about sharing secondary vaults with other 1P systems, and I'm looking to see if there is a standard or normal way to tell 1P3 to initially start up with a known file name in Dropbox instead of trying to establish a new one.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Apologies for misunderstanding your issue.

• rsworden
    rsworden
    Community Member
    Options

I found a nice document "How to share a non-primary vault" which documents all the steps for sharing a vault through Dropbox shared folders instead of what I was trying to do. I tore down what I had set up and went through all the steps. It all worked fine up to the step "Nik first needs to unlock his main 1Password app. Once unlocked, all Nik has to do is open the shared folder and double-click the shared vault.... When he does, 1Password will prompt him to create a new vault on his end. He’ll need to provide the password I selected when I created the vault on my end."

Maybe because the recipient is 1P3 which does not understand vaults, it only prompts to Merge or Replace data. The shared data gets merged in on a one-time basis. I don't see any way to switch 1P3 to use the shared folder for its data. The "Your Data Stored In" field seems immutable... changing to Dropbox wants to create a new 1Password.agilekeychain in Dropbox. Is there any way to "adopt" that shared keychain in 1P3?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rsworden‌

I'm so sorry to hear about the trouble you've been having getting set up here. Installing your secondary vault into 1Password 3 should be easy. Try this:

• Quit 1Password
    • Open a Finder window to your Dropbox folder
    • Find Work.agilekeychain
    • Right-click the keychain and select 'Open with > 1Password 3'
    • This will open 1Password and prompt you for the Master Password of your work keychain

1Password will now use that keychain to sync all changes to (you can confirm this in Preferences > Sync, if you'd like.)

This should get you all set up, but we're here if you have any further questions!

• rsworden
    rsworden
    Community Member
    edited May 2014
    Options

The right-click method does indeed load the data, with a choice of Replace or Merge. But it does not make that file the active data file.

1Password will now use that keychain to sync all changes to (you can confirm this in Preferences > Sync, if you'd like.)

That's the part that does not happen. In 1P3 Preferences, there is no Sync tab. "Your Data Stored In" is on the General tab, and points to ~Library > Containers > com... > Data > Documents > 1Password.agilekeychain. Pressing "Use Dropbox..." just pushes the 1Password.agilekeychain to Dropbox, it never makes a connection to the Work... file that should remain sync'd.

This is 1Password for Mac 3.9.6 (39600.038) on Mountain Lion.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rsworden‌

We'll need to take a closer look at your system here to determine where things are getting tangled up. Could you please send us a Diagnostics Report from your work machine?

http://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/diagnostic-report.html

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• rsworden
    rsworden
    Community Member
    Options

I have just sent the report.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hi @rsworden‌

Thanks for sending that Report in! I took a quick look in our system, but I was unable to find an email from the address you attached to your forum account. If you could send me a private message with the address that you used to send in the Report, I'd be happy to track it down and ensure that it gets answered quickly. :)

• rsworden
    rsworden
    Community Member
    Options

I can't seem to locate the email thread, so here's my follow-up. As recommended, I updated my work mac to Mountain Lion 10.8.5. I uninstalled 1P3 and installed 1P4 from the App Store. I was able to navigate to my work-specific Dropbox file and 1P4 imported it very nicely. It seems to be syncing properly in both directions, though I noticed two quirks:

1. The files in Dropbox as shown on the Mac do not get their date/time stamps updated, though the top-level Dropbox directory does. That made me think for a while that it wasn't syncing. That's not your issue, but I thought it might be useful info.
    2. There's a bit of a delay in the Mac importing changes from Dropbox, but not too bad. Is there a way to force a sync? I did not find one.

So far so good - looks like it's working. Thank you very much for your help!

• Jasper
    edited June 2014
    Options

Is there a way to force a sync? I did not find one.

No, syncing is done automatically. There isn't a force sync option.

So far so good - looks like it's working. Thank you very much for your help!

I'm glad to hear that it's working now! Please let us know if you have any other questions. We're always happy to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.