Family License with an outbound college student

Options
teachsci
teachsci
Community Member
edited June 2014 in Mac

We are looking at getting a Family License, but I hesitate.

As I understand it, my husband and I would each have a license (am I using that term correctly?) but I also want my soon-to-be-departing-for-college kid to start independent life with a healthy respect for passwords. She just got a MacAir and the family computers (3) are iMacs and an Air. The college freshman has her own iPhone, as well.

• Will a family pack cover two parents and two children, even if one only lives here over the summers? (I figure she is IN my household, as I still pay the bills! :)
  • Will 1password be able to be used at home on all three computers, by all three of us at home?
  • Can we four people have separate password lists?
  • Will the three of us iPhone users then need to make purchases for the iOS app independently? I believe so, and that is fine, just clarifying.

Lots of questions... thanks for any help you can offer!

Comments

• Jasper
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hi @teachsci,

Will a family pack cover two parents and two children, even if one only lives here over the summers? (I figure she is IN my household, as I still pay the bills!

Sure, if she lives in the same household part time, that is okay. :)

Will 1password be able to be used at home on all three computers, by all three of us at home?

A family license allows five family members (in the same household) to use 1Password on any number of devices of the purchased platform (e.g., a 1Password for Mac family license is valid for all of your family's Macs).

Can we four people have separate password lists?

The license doesn't affect the way the product works in any way. A single-user license and a family license will function exactly the same way from a technical perspective. Each person can have their own unique data set as long as they either have their own computer or a separate user account.

Will the three of us iPhone users then need to make purchases for the iOS app independently? I believe so, and that is fine, just clarifying.

Apps purchased from the App Store are tied to your Apple ID. If you want to, you can then use your Apple ID to install purchased apps on any device "you own or control" (we take that to mean just about any device in your house). You can read more on Apple's web site: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4461

However, if you don't want to use the same Apple ID, you will each need to make a separate purchase.

Please let us know if you have any other questions. We're always happy to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.