Did Apple just kill the need for 1P on iOS?

Options
Zonker
Zonker
Community Member

Looks like Apple is getting into the password business on iOS 8..

http://9to5mac.com/2014/06/13/ios-8-lets-apps-access-safari-autofill-credentials-for-quick-easy-login/

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

They entered part of this business already with Mavericks and iOS 7 and the iCloud Keychain. If I read the note in your link properly, it looks like they are making the same thing available to developers who want it for their native applications, not just web applications. But that's just my reading as a bystander. Many of us 1Password users are hoping that the next iOS will allow 1Password to submit credentials directly through mobile Safari.

I don't know what plans might be for 1Password to allow passing credentials to native applications. It doesn't do that on OS X, so I assume a big overhaul would be needed to make it work there and in iOS. Again, I'm only an interested bystander.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Apparently Betteridge's law of headlines applies to forum thread titles as well. ;)

The feature discussed in the aforelinked article requires apps to specifically opt in. It requires effort on the part of each individual company. What iOS 8 also brings to the table is Touch ID, extensions, and more for an app like 1Password which can be used across the whole system.

We don't normally discuss future plans, but the team here hasn't been this excited in a while. We are definitely investigating all the fun new possibilities. :)

On iOS 8, App Extensions, OS X Yosemite, and 1Password

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited June 2014
    Options

I don't think so. I use both iCloud Keychain and 1Password, and very happy. iCloud's search to look for a login/password is a joke, but 1Password is so easy to fine what you're looking for. You can also name the login anything you want, put extra notes (like a secondary password or what email is associated with that account), and so on. I see iCloud Keychain just a spot to save passwords, but 1Password is a password manager. You can't just put extra stuff in iCloud Keychain also; like secured notes, app licenses, router info, and more.
    I also found another issues with iCloud also. I signed up for a site and it would only let me use numbers or letters, no characters/symbols. iCloud Keychain uses xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx, but 1Password you can customize your password and to not use symbols.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @prime,

Thanks for the kind words! You're right, 1Password does a lot more than just store your passwords - I'm so glad you think it's useful. :)

This discussion has been closed.