Convert app store purchase to family license?

Options
callum
callum
Community Member

My wife and I both use 1Password for iOS and I use it for OS X via the Apple App Store. I've convinced her of the benefits of a desktop version for her Mac :) and wondered if it's possible to upgrade to a family license versus having her buy it herself from the store.

Is this possible?

Ideally, I want to use it on my Windows box too so if it's possible to somehow change to the "family OS X plus Mac license", that'd be even better.

Many thanks.

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi again, @callum. :)

To get the equivalent of a 1Password 4 family license through the Mac App Store, you simply need to log in to your wife's Mac with your Apple ID to install 1Password for her. And your 1P4 MAS purchase qualifies you for a discount on a separate 1Password for Windows license to use on your PC. That's an alternative to getting a full 1Password Mac + Windows Bundle family license if only you will be using the Windows version.

Please e-mail us directly, including a link to this forum topic in your message, for help with that or other license options that'll work best for you. Thanks!

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

So now that family share is coming to OS X Yosemite and iOS 8, I'm wondering if it would be possible to switch in the other direction: from the AgileBits web version to the Mac App Store.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hi @hawkmoth,

Just as a general caution, we are still learning about all of the awesome details of the announcements at WWDC, and since these new features won't be available until the fall, there's no need to switch your license over just yet.

However, for users who do want to take advantage of family sharing when it arrives, we'd be happy to help you out. :)

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for that flexibility! I will wait though, as you suggest. My main worry at this point is that iCloud access might get cut off for non-Apple purchases. I don't regard it to be a problem related to cost, since I already have a family license from the AgileBits store.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @hawkmoth,

You're right, if you are heavily reliant on iCloud syncing, the App Store does have that advantage as well. While we have not heard anything from Apple to suggest that they might request that we remove iCloud support from the webstore version, it is something that could happen.

In any case, we'll be sure that you're all sorted out, one way or the other. :)

This discussion has been closed.