Support for Custom Fields (even if just view only for now)

Options
Gnorizo
Gnorizo
Community Member

I love the Custom Fields feature in the Mac version of 1Password (http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/12/06/1password-for-mac-version-4-1) and rely on that feature heavily. Unfortunately, we discovered at the most inopportune time that Custom Fields are not displayed/supported on the iPhone version of 1Password. (Prevented us from being able to login and find a missing iPhone.) In this case, it was the "Password" record type that wasn't displaying Custom Fields, but we use Custom Fields for the "Login", "Servers", "Email", and other record types as well. It's an extremely useful feature.

Perhaps we should have been using the Notes section for custom metadata (like security questions, authentication tokens, etc.) instead of Custom Fields, at least until support for Custom Fields is more universally supported across the apps (1Password for Mac, for iOS, and for Windows).

Question: Are there plans to fully support Custom Fields in the iOS version, and if so, do you know if there's a target release date for this feature? Also for the PC version?

This will help us determine if we need to have someone delete all of our custom metadata and re-enter it into the Notes section instead. Thank you.

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2014
    Options

That's... odd. I just checked a couple of my entries and I can see custom fields. I used to add security questions in the notes section of a login but started to convert them to custom fields when I discovered they could be set as password fields, so the label is the question and the field is the answer. I wonder if it syncs certain types?

--Edit--
    Yup, it seems to sync custom fields for logins but not password items, surely a bug?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Gnorizo‌

I sincerely apologize for the trouble here. @littlebobbytables‌ is right - this is a bug. Custom fields should be viewable in all categories, but they are not currently showing in the Passwords category.

I have mentioned to our developers that you are keen to see a fix for this as soon as possible!

• Rabbit32
    Rabbit32
    Community Member
    edited June 2014
    Options

Two questions:

1. I just installed 1Password for Windows ver. 4, and I don't see a Passwords record type. Yet the Mac and iOS versions have this type?

2. Is there any way to modify the record type template so it ALWAYS has the custom Section (and corresponding fields) I want for that type? It appears that I have to re-create the custom section and its field for every new record I create.

Thanks, Scott

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Scott ( @Rabbit32 )

I just installed 1Password for Windows ver. 4, and I don't see a Passwords record type. Yet the Mac and iOS versions have this type?

Have you generated any passwords yet with 1Password 4 for Windows? This category holds all generated passwords, so if you haven't generated any yet, the category won't be visible.

Is there any way to modify the record type template so it ALWAYS has the custom Section (and corresponding fields) I want for that type? It appears that I have to re-create the custom section and its field for every new record I create.

There is no official way to save a template with custom fields at this time, however, there is a bit of a workaround. To create a template, you can set up a blank entry with all the fields you want. When you wish to make use of this template, simply duplicate the entry and fill in the details on the duplicate (leaving the original blank.) I hope this helps!

• Rabbit32
    Rabbit32
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

I hadn't generated any passwords yet, so that makes sense.

As for your blank entry workaround, it sounds good IF I can then duplicate the template entry using 1Password for iPhone (which is where I usually create new entries). Does that work?

Thanks.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hi @Rabbit32‌

Unfortunately, it is not possible to duplicate entries on iOS at this time. I'd be happy to mention your situation to our developers though. Custom templates is a popular feature request. :)

• Rabbit32
    Rabbit32
    Community Member
    Options

How about this? In 1P for Windows, I could create a small supply of these "empty" records. Then I could simply edit one in 1P iOS whenever I have a new entry to add.

I realize it might be necessary to have some differentiating attribute within each of my blank records, so I could simply name them aomething like "Blank 1", "Blank 2", etc.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Rabbit32,

That's not a bad solution! Just be sure your primary blank entry has a unique name to ensure that you don't fill it accidentally and have to re-create all your custom fields. :)

• Rabbit32
    Rabbit32
    Community Member
    Options

Good point, Megan!! Thanks, Scott

• Jasper
    Options

On behalf of Megan, you're welcome. Please let us know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.