just purchased 1Password4

Options
coolgrandmacarole
coolgrandmacarole
Community Member

I have been using 1Password version 3.8.22. I just purchased 1Password 4. When I tried to install it, it wanted me to uninstall the old version. I am afraid of losing all my data in the old version. What do I do?

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @coolgrandmacarole‌

Your 1Password data is not stored within the application itself. As long as you don't use any uninstaller/"cleaner" utilities to remove 1Password, dragging the application to the trash will not delete your data.

Thanks!

Ben

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

You will not lose your data simply by dragging the 1P3 app to trash (don't use any app cleaner app, though: they are inclined to sweep away everything you ever wanted, like 1P3 data). However, you shouldn't need to un-install 1P3 to run 1P4. Are you sure you're not being asked to un-install a browser extension? You will need to un-install any 1P3 browser extension and install the 1P4 extension in order to run 1P4 properly.

Stephen

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @coolgrandmacarole,

When I tried to install it, it wanted me to uninstall the old version.

Did you download 1Password 4 for Mac from our website, then drag it from your Downloads folder into your main Applications folder? That's the installation procedure documented here:

Installing 1Password 4 for Mac

If you're still having trouble installing it, can you describe more about how you're doing it and what you're being asked to uninstall? Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.