Beta Testers Need to Rate App in Google Play Store!

glindsey
glindsey
Community Member

This may be off topic, but my feeling is that if you are a beta tester and you like what you are seeing with the development of 1Password for Android, you have an obligation to go to the Google Play store and post a favorable rating for this application. Knowing as I do all the hard work that the developers here at Agilebits have put into this app, I have grown weary of all the one and two star ratings from people who don't know how to use the app, and are too sorry to respectfully ask for assistance instead of responding with a low rating which could hurt sales and ultimately deter future development.

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Can you rate an app you haven't installed?

• glindsey
    glindsey
    Community Member

Apparently, you can. One guy even posted a one star rating with the comment that he had not installed the app, but he objected to having all his passwords stored on a server, so he was cautioning people not to buy any sort of Password program! I can't print here what I think of that jack---!

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Yeah I just saw that! One for @mverde‌ to repond to since not allowed to.

It amazes me that Google lets you rate something you've not bothered to install.

Having read all the comments, I can't agree with your OP. Sure there's a couple of ignorant idiots but they number in single digits. Most of the low rates are related to three things:

1) GoogleDrive support
    2) New user experience in configuring dropbox
    3) Lack on information of pricing.

These are all reasonable complaints, and certainly the first two are things have been raised on this forum multiple times during the beta.

There's another couple about Linux support and I can't decide if they're reasonable or not. They are supposed to be rating an Android app after all.

• EnerJi
    EnerJi
    Community Member

@RichardPayne‌ I just tried and was unable to rate an app that I had not installed, both from my Android phone, and from the Google Play store on the web. I bet some of those low rating folks installed it just to rate it, then uninstalled it.

My $.02, is the app looks very nice and works well for what it does, but even as a beta tester I can't in good conscience rate it highly. I do appreciate the investment they've made and I like 1Password overall so I'm refraining from rating it at all.

To get a good rating from me, the app needs at minimum:

1) Multiple vault support
    2) Google Drive support (with corresponding support on Mac/Windows at minimum, and ideally on iOS if Apple/Google APIs allow it.)

To get five stars, the app also needs:
    3) Easier form filling for both applications and mobile Chrome. LastPass has shown it's possible to dramatically simplify today's current burdensome process, and no mobile password app is worthy of five stars (IMO) until it adds something similar.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

I agree @EnerJi‌

• While we don't feel that our beta testers are obliged to rate the app on Google Play, we do appreciate any support that we receive. Honest ratings are the most useful to us (as a form of feedback) and to others (in determining whether this is the right app for them). We comb through all of the ratings, both high and low, looking for valid critique of the app and we already have plans in motion to address a number of these areas. Hopefully we'll be able to convert a few of those low ratings into 5-star reviews and earn a few new ones in the process ;)

• glindsey
    glindsey
    Community Member

Great! BTW, I really did not mean to imply that folks should give you anything but an honest rating. Still, it does seem unfair that people can get away with making off- the-wall stupid remarks that can impact your sales, like the poster who complained that this Android app sold in a store for Android apps would not run on a Linux device!

• I'm sure that we're no different than many other developers in receiving off-topic (and sometimes off-colour) reviews. Where we do differ though is that we have some of the most passionately supportive customers on the planet. In the end, you guys more than make up for the occasional unfair comment that we might receive!

This discussion has been closed.