Failure to transfer 1password 4 from old iMac to new iMac

Options
pcookson
pcookson
Community Member

I have two iMacs, both are running 10.9.3 I'll call them my new iMac (purchased three days ago) and my old iMac (purchased three years ago).
Yesterday I ran the migration application via an ethernet cable to move all my data from my old iMac to my new iMac. Per online instructions, I made certain thata everything in 1password was saved so that nothing would be lost during the data transfer. Upon the completion of Migration of all the data, I opened 1Password on the new iMac and found, not 1password 4, but 1Password 3, with all the passwords from the year 2009. There was no current information available. Thus I have an old iMac running 1password 4 for Mac with all my current passwords which operates beautifully and my new iMac running an old 1password with passwords from the year 2009. I have been unable to make any adjustments. My 1password document in dropbox is current. No problem there. I do not know what else I can say about this except that my frustration level is running terribly high. Maybe the solution is very simple but I am unable to see it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I do not know what other info you might need so feel free to ask. Thank you in advance, Patricia Cookson

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Patricia ( @pcookson‌ ),

I'm so sorry to hear that you've been having trouble getting your data migrated onto your new Mac! I certainly don't blame you for feeling a bit frustrated here. It's a bit strange that 1Password 3 ended up on your new computer with data from years ago.

I'm glad that you still have this old Mac with all your current passwords though, it should be a simple matter to get things straightened out. First of all, I'd like you to take a look in your Dropbox folder to find out what happened to your more recent data - do you by chance have multiple keychains stored there? I've got a few other basic things that we want to check regarding Dropbox first, before we get into the serious troubleshooting:

• Please ensure that Dropbox is installed and running on your computer
    • Check that you are logged in with the same account on all computers and devices
    • Confirm that Dropbox sync is selected in 1Password > Preferences > Sync on each of your Macs and that it is pointing at the correct keychain

Once we confirm this all, we can simply install 1Password 4 onto your new Mac and point it at the correct keychain in Dropbox. :)

• pcookson
    pcookson
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Megan,
    Thanks for your quick answer! I think I may have answered my own question. When I set up my new iMac I gave the account a name other than the name on the original account on my old iMac. So, I now have two accounts. I found my old account on the new iMac and my current 1password resides there. So I think I have this thing figured out. Should I run into any more trouble I will write back on the forum. Your question "Check that you are logged in with the same account..." did the trick! Thank you so, so much. I am smiling again! All the best, Pat

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Pat ( @pcookson ),

Thanks so much for letting me know that you're all sorted out! I'm glad to hear that my questions was helpful and that you are back to smiling again. That's awesome.

We're here if you have any further questions or concerns! :)

• Bernd Lennartz
    Bernd Lennartz
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan, I have a somehow related problem. My HD crashed and after uploading the content to the new HD from time machine 1password won't work anymore. I went through some posts and reinstalled 1password several times. I also change the name of some folders and files to _OLD as advised and still 1password does not go beyond the launching screen. There it says ....We found your data in Dropbox. Unlock.... If I type in the master password 1password freezes and I have to terminate the process by 'force quit'. Any advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks. Bernd

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Bernd,

I'm really sorry to hear about your hard drive crash, but am glad you have a backup to help you recover from that!

We'd like to take a closer look at your current 1Password configuration to see where it might be getting stuck. To do that please send us a Diagnostics Report from your Mac, along with a link to this topic and your forum username, to support+forum@agilebits.com. A brief comment here mentioning that you've sent the report would also be helpful.

Once we see the report we'll be able to better assist you with fixing this problem. Thanks in advance!

This discussion has been closed.