Changing passwords doesn't work

Options
summitday113
summitday113
Community Member
edited June 2014 in Mac

I just got 1password in order to change my passwords to a new strong one. Because, Heartbleed. But it DOESN'T WORK. I tried it on two unimportant accounts, and now I'm locked out. The autofill for the password works great. But it doesn't save the log in. I put one log in with my old password in, but what good is that? It's not that helpful to just be able to autopopulate my old not so strong password (but one I could remember)

Needless to say, I won't be putting any of my important account login into 1password until somebody explains CLEARLY how to get the new strong password in there first. What good will it do me to store the old password data since then it can't be changed?

I've looked all over the help and the internet and nobody seems to know how to make this work. This is a big fail, since you are promoting 1password as a fix to Heartbleed....

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

If you have a generated password which is not currently associated with a saved login it should appear in the Passwords category. Can you find the relevant passwords there?

Stephen

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Summitday113,

Are you by any chance using a beta version of the 1Password extension? There was an old bug in the beta version where it won't prompt to update your data.

If not, these guides may be helpful for changing your passwords with 1Password:

1. Updating the password
    2. If 1Password extension didn't prompt to update your Login items, update it manually.
  • Mike Boadle
    Mike Boadle
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem. I have been through all of the notes but can't get it to work reliably. Seems OK for Google and Apple, but not for other sites. Does anybody have a solution? I have spent all day trying to sort this out.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Please confirm:

1. your 1P4 version number;
    2. the browser you are using and the 1P4 extension version number;
    3. your OS X version number.

Answers may help to track down the problem.

Stephen

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Mike,

I do apologize for the frustration here. As @Stephen_C says, a bit more information on your specific situation can really help us track this issue down. I'd also like to tell you about a feature in 1Password that can make your life a lot easier while changing passwords.

When you use the password generator within 1Password Mini and select the 'Fill' button, by default that new password will also be copied onto your clipboard. You can check to confirm that this feature is enabled by clicking on the arrow key next to the 'Fill' button - 'Copy to Clipboard Before Filling' should be checked off. With this feature enabled, if 1Password doesn't prompt you to save/update a Login after changing your password, you can open the entry in 1Password and paste the new password into the appropriate field.

I know it's not a perfect answer, but I hope it helps!

This discussion has been closed.