Two 1Password Login Items for Bank of America, etc.

Options
fourwheelcycle
fourwheelcycle
Community Member

I have noted several discussions about how to set up 1Password 4 for Mac login items for Bank of America and other sites that require a user ID on one page and a password on a second page. Some of these sites, like BoA and Vanguard, require users to verify a site key image before the password can be entered.

Although there are threads, such as one specifically for BoA, which tell how to set up 1Password logins that work for these sites, I came up with my own semi-automated two step process that works for me on BOA, Vanguard and TIAA-CREF. I created two separate 1Password login items for each of these sites, e.g., BoA 1, BoA 2, Vanguard 1, Vanguard 2, etc. In each case, the first login item only has my username filled in, with the password field blank, and the second login item only has the password field filled in, with the username blank.

When I go to the sign-in page for these sites 1Password presents me with a choice of both login items for that institution. At the first sign-in page I click the BoA 1, Vanguard 1, or TIAA-CREF 1 login item. If I then get a site key image or a security question I click yes for the image or I answer the question, and when I get to the password page I click the second login item.

So far, this two step process has always worked perfectly for these three sites. I imagine others have come up with the same technique, but I wanted to note that this semi-automated approach can be used if some people (like me) find it difficult to set up a single login item for these sites.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed. That is the "classic" approach (as I call it). It is a bit more reliable in the sense that whenever you save a Login item on a specific page in the browser 1Password "learns" the form fields on the page. So if you save a separate Login item for each page using the method in that link, 1Password will know exactly what to fill on each page.

The downside is that you need to manually select each Login for filling. If you save a Login on the first page and then add the password, you can simply press ⌘\ on the first page to fill the username, and then press ⌘\ on the second page to fill the password. Since there is only one Login item 1Password doesn't need to prompt you to select which one to fill.

Having one Login item works in the vast majority of cases. (I haven't found a site yet where I personally have an account and it doesn't work.) As I said before, it is technically "more reliable" to create separate Login items since 1Password learns the form fields for each page. However, the password field (the one you would be adding manually to your existing item for the first page) is actually the easiest to detect since it is of a different "type" in the page's source code. That is to say, there may be any number of type="text" fields on a page, but on the password page of a site with a two-step Login process there is almost always only a single type="password" field. That's why the "one Login for multiple pages" technique works best when saving a Login on the first page and then editing the item to add the password.

I myself have one Login item set up for use on Bank of America and Vanguard, but if you are having trouble and find that having separate Login items works better for you I say go for it! :)

• fourwheelcycle
    fourwheelcycle
    Community Member
    Options

khad,

I'm pretty simple-minded and I find simple-minded solutions are the easiest for me to remember.

I have set up two step logins for the three sites I use now that require them. I'm afraid (actually I know!) that if I put in the time to learn how to set up one step logins for these sites I would completely forget how to do it six months from now if I start using another site that requires a two page sign-in sequence. I'm also sure I would forget how to modify my one step logins if one of my current two page sites changes their requirements slightly in the future.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @fourwheelcycle,

Sometimes a simple solution is the best one. Thanks for sharing your steps! As @khad says, whatever works best of you - go for it! :)

• kfr3
    kfr3
    Community Member
    Options

This has been a recent problem. I think the last time I logged in without errors was April. Someone changed something! I created a second login item with only the password.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kfr3‌

If the website has recently changed, your best first step in troubleshooting is to Save a New Login Manually. You can find the specific instructions for saving a new Login for the Bank of America here: 1Password and Bank of America.

I hope this helps!

This discussion has been closed.