1Password 3.8 on Mac won't sync with 4.5 on iOS 7.1.1?

Options
kearnser
kearnser
Community Member

Since I upgraded my iOS, I can't get this syncing to work. Do I have to get v.4 for my Mac?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kearnser‌

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble getting synced up! 1Password 4 for iOS should sync just fine with 1Password 3 for Mac using Dropbox. Let's see if we can track down where things are getting tangled up:

• Please ensure that Dropbox is installed and running on your computer
    • Check that you are logged in with the same account on all computers and devices
    • Confirm that Dropbox sync is selected in 1Password > Preferences > Sync on your Mac
    • Confirm that Dropbox is selected in Settings > Sync on your iOS device (If Dropbox sync is not set up, please follow the instructions here to set it up.)

If all of those items check out, let's run a test and see where things are getting tripped up:

• Create a test entry on your Mac ("Test, Mac") and add some data
    • Create a test entry on your iOS device ("Test, iOS") and add some data
    • Does 'test for Mac' show up on your iOS device?
    • Does 'test for iOS' show up on your Mac?

Please let me know the results of this little experiment - once we have a better idea of where things are going sideways, we should be able to get this straightened out simply for you :)

• kearnser
    kearnser
    Community Member
    Options

After at least 5 minutes, the 3 test entries on MacBook Pro, iPad 2, and iPhone 4S all stayed on their original device. And I just noticed I don't see a Settings>Sync selection on my iPhone 4S's 1Password.

• IanCamera
    IanCamera
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having similar problem. 1password seems to be running fine on my phone and iPad, but changes are not communicated between them and my macbook. Dropbox is running fine. The software is telling me that I'm up to date. Any suggestions?

• MrRooni
    edited April 2014
    Options

Sorry for the trouble you're having. There was a bug introduced in 1Password 4.5 for iOS that failed to properly migrate the Dropbox sync settings from version 4.3.2. You should be able to reenable sync by tapping on Settings > Sync in 1Password for iOS.

Settings - Sync

You can get a full set of instructions for enabling sync here: http://www.manula.com/manuals/agilebits/1password-4-for-ios/4/en/topic/sync-with-dropbox

Let me know how this works out and if there's anything else I can do to help.

• kearnser
    kearnser
    Community Member
    Options

I've done that before. That doesn't do anything.

• @kearnser‌ Can you tell me where in this setup you run into trouble? What's different for you? http://www.manula.com/manuals/agilebits/1password-4-for-ios/4/en/topic/sync-with-dropbox

• cr_ashshop
    cr_ashshop
    Community Member
    Options

Dear all,
    I unfortunately have the same problem trying to sync my Mac 3.8.21 version with just bought 4.5.1 for iOS..
    I even bought the iOS version because I have read on your site that the WIFI sync should work properly.
    Is there any hint or help?
    Sincerely
    römer

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @cr_ashshop‌

I do apologize for the confusion here. Wi-Fi sync is version-specific. Version 3's Wi-Fi sync had several issues that users (and our developers) were never quite happy with. So, for version 4, the sync was completely re-written. This means, unfortunately, that 1Password 4 for iOS cannot sync with 1Password 3 for Mac.

To keep 1Password 4 for iOS in sync with 1Password 3 for Mac, Dropbox is your best bet.

If you would like to upgrade to 1Password 4 for Mac to use the newly designed Wi-Fi sync, you can snag a license at a discount by entering your current license information on our upgrade page.

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you here, but I'd be happy to answer any other questions you might have!

• 1Confused
    1Confused
    Community Member
    Options

I'm very confused!

So, all this means that the option to sync through iTunes "File Sharing" option is useless?
    That "I have to" sync only through one of the 3 available options on 1P iOS (Dropbox, iCloud, WI-Fi)?
    Did I waste my time because of an option developers should have eliminated?

iMac : OSX 10.8.5 : 1Pass 3.8.22 >>> iPhone 5 : iOS 7.1.1 : 1Pass 4.5.3

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @1Confused‌

I'm so sorry for the trouble here. Unfortunately, iTunes File Sharing is undergoing a bit of a change at the moment. iTunes File Sharing is being re-vamped to match the backup and restore option on Mac. Currently, only the backup option is available, so it is not possible to restore any data to your iOS at this time.

Since you are using 1Password 3 for Mac and 1Password 4 for iOS, your best option to keep everything synced up is via Dropbox.

If you would prefer to avoid a cloud-based sync solution, Wi-Fi is available, but it does require that you are using the same version on all devices. (We completely re-wrote Wi-Fi sync for version 4, so unfortunately Wi-Fi sync is incompatible between version 3 and version 4.) I notice that you are on 10.8.5 - is there any reason that you haven't yet upgraded to 1Password 4 for Mac?

I wish I had a better answer for you here, but I do hope that Dropbox sync is a workable option for you to keep your data synced up - it really is quite handy. :) And of course, I'll mention to our developers that you're keen to see the iTunes File Sharing feature fully developed as soon as possible!

• 1Confused
    1Confused
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, Megan!
    I don't like my stuff being in others boxes. Specially sensitive one like 1pass data. I don't trust the cloud.
    That's why I prefer to sync the way I was doing it before, where I have all the control possible.
    I already did the sync with Dropbox successfully. Very slow by the way. And I have very good connection! Just another layer for frustrations.
    I haven't updated to 4 because it doesn't come for free. And I know why too: is your work (very well done)
    I hope to see back the iTunes/1Pass sync back soon.
    Cheers!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @1Confused‌

Thanks for your understanding and your patience! It is completely your choice if you would rather not store your data in the cloud, but I just want to assure you that the security of your data does not rely on the security of the cloud source you choose to sync with. Your data file is encrypted with an exceedingly secure encryption algorithm called AES. Even if someone were to acquire a copy of your 1Password data file, it would be extremely difficult (approaching impossible in a human lifetime) for them to actually gain access to your passwords without your Master Password. In short, we believe it is just as secure as having the data on your laptop. To learn more about cloud data security, have a read through the following article.

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/cloud_storage_security.html

And you can see the thoughts behind our data format's design here.

http://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/Security/keychain-design.html

Also, you can check out our blog for many more articles that go into the nitty gritty math behind what makes 1Password so secure.

http://blog.agilebits.com/tag/cryptography_/

All that being said, you are perfectly welcome to keep your 1Password data stored safely in your own boxes, and we'll do our best to get the Backup and Restore feature fully functioning soon to make this easier for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.