2nd Mac keep resetting to iCloud sync from Dropbox

Options
Scifiguy
Scifiguy
Community Member

This has happened to me 2 or 3 times, but previously I've just switched the syncing method back to Dropbox and everything was fine. This time I've run into a problem. I use 1Password extensively on my desktop Mac and my Mac laptop. At some point I will notice that items on the laptop are not available and when I check the sync settings on the laptop, it has switched from Dropbox to iCloud for no reason (that I have control over). The Desktop copy has never done this. However, this time when I try to switch syncing back to Dropbox on the laptop and choose my Dropbox folder, it insists on creating a new "1Password" folder (~/Dropbox/1Password/) and putting the database file in there, rather than reading the existing file in ~/Dropbox/ and syncing the two. 1Password will not allow me to select the existing file, only the Dropbox folder. Everything is also syncing fine with my iOS devices, so why is my laptop copy being so difficult? Also, since I have added items to the laptop's database before noticing the problem, how can I make sure the items are merged?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Scifiguy‌

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble here. While sync can, in some cases, become disconnected, 1Password is not able to arbitrarily switch sync solutions with no action on the part of the user. So, the issue that you describe is rather intriguing

We'll need to take a closer look at your system here to determine where things are getting tangled up. Could you please send us a Diagnostics Report from both your desktop Mac and your laptop?

http://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/diagnostic-report.html

(Please be sure to select the tab that corresponds to the version of 1Password you have installed currently)

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• Scifiguy
    Scifiguy
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, reports for both have been emailed. Keep in mind I've been mucking with the laptop's settings previously while trying to fix it. Currently the preferences are set to not sync anything.

Thank you.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Scifiguy‌

Thanks for sending that Report in! I took a quick look in our system, but I was unable to find an email from the address you attached to your forum account. If you could send me a private message with the address that you used to send in the Report, I'd be happy to track it down and ensure that it gets answered quickly. :)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Scifiguy,

We did locate your email with the two reports. Thanks again!

I see that Chris has been helping you resolve this issue through email. we'll continue with further followups there, and I'll close this topic so we're not crossing wires between both places. :)

This discussion has been closed.