Web 1Password

Options
Lihan Zhu
Lihan Zhu
Community Member

This has happened to me before I have 1Password, I think this can be a problem if it happen again. My phone was dead and my computer was not around. So I needed to borrow a phone from other people to log in to my account. Before I had 1Password, my password was simple enough for me to memorize, but now my password is automatically generated and every time I need a password I need 1Password. So if I use other's phone and I do not have 1Password, it would be impossible for me to log in to my account. If 1Password has a web version, maybe not with all the feathers, so I can copy and paste my password, that way would be wonderful.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

1PasswordAnywhere works in any modern browser. Or are you looking for something else?

• andreloja
    andreloja
    Community Member
    Options

I agree with Lihan and I think 1PasswordAnywhere is not the right solution. I would much prefer a link on your website to login and access our passwords. Just as an example, my Dropbox password is also 1Password generated... So, how can I access 1PasswordAnywhere if I don't know my Dropbox password?

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited June 2014
    Options

There are a few passwords that I feel I must memorize outside of 1Password. Dropbox is one of them, for just the reason that I may want to use 1PasswordAnywhere. I would be surprised if AgileBits takes on storing data. One of their selling features is that they have no access whatever to the user's data.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

At this time we certainly feel that not storing any data from users is one of the many advantages 1Password has over alternative solutions. From the “We don’t know who you are, but we love you” section in our blog post “On the NSA, PRISM, and what it means for your 1Password data”:

We’ve never been asked to turn over data about you. Sure, some of that is because we are a Canadian company, but most importantly is the simple fact that we really don’t have any data to turn over. The easiest way for us to protect your data and data about you is to not have that data in the first place. We can’t reveal or abuse data that we don’t have. You can read the details of the data we do and don’t have.

In summary, we only have information about you that you explicitly provide to us. If you sign up for our Newsletter, we will have your email address. If you purchase from our store directly, then we have the information you provided at time of purchase (though we only retain partial credit card details). If you contact use through support, we have a record of those communications. If you make your purchase of 1Password through Apple’s app stores, we are only given aggregate information (how many people from which countries).

We do not have your 1Password data. We do not know your 1Password Master Password, We don’t even know if you use 1Password. We do not know how many items you have in your data or their type. Our image server (used for Rich Icons in 1Password 4) is set up in a way that we never see the IP addresses of individual requests. That server never gives us information about what is in any individual’s 1Password data.

Quite simply, you don’t have to be concerned about AgileBits gathering information about you. We just don’t have much information in the first place.

It certainly isn't impossible to host user data in a secure manner, but it sure is great that folks have the option to sync their data via Wi-Fi and not only omit any cloud service from the equation but also AgileBits. There are great advantages to this design: Your data and your decryption of it doesn’t require our participation in any way once you have 1Password. Your data is yours. Even if AgileBits were to get abducted by aliens tomorrow, you would still have access to your data since we don't store it on our servers.

Again, we think this is a good thing, but I'll make sure the team receives your feedback, @andreloja‌. Thanks for taking the time to provide it!

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    edited June 2014
    Options

I find it hard to remember seldom-used passwords. My Dropbox password is a seldom-used password. My solution to this problem is to use a web-based password manager as a complement to 1Password. It holds a very small subset of my passwords, credit cards, and other important info, but one of them is my Dropbox login. I do not keep a copy my 1Password master password there, for reasons that ought to be obvious. And I use the web-based password manager often enough that I have not had any problem remembering its master password.

I’m not sure that the AgileBits folks can endorse this approach, but it works for me.

In my and my wife's safe deposit box, there are two sealed envelopes. One contains my 1Password master password and my Dropbox login (could have put in my web password manager's password, but I don't see any advantage to doing so). The other sealed enevelope is my wife's. I trust that the same info is in hers, but I guess I can't be certain of it. :-)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Good reminder to set up a "1Password Emergency Kit", @benfdc!

This discussion has been closed.