Purchased 1Password 3 Family Plan. Downloaded 1Password4 and unable to login + "trial expired"

Options
Stephanie Russell
Stephanie Russell
Community Member

Hi,

We purchased 1Password 3 family plan to use for business a few years ago.

1Password4 was downloaded. Shortly thereafter the "master" password was updated and I am no longer able to login (other users can login successfully so I know I am entering the correct password). I also tried logging in using the old password just in case which was also not successful.

As I was looking into this I noticed the following:

1Password 4 > License > gives an error that trial mode has expired. I have the option to "Buy License" (which we already did) and "Add License" which prompts me to open a file on my computer.

I am wondering if this is the reason my 1Password is not recognizing the login password. I know the license number. However, I am unable to enter the number. When logging into the "Customer Center", there is not an option to send the license information. I am simply given the Key. The "Register" instructions say: "Select 1Password > License… and paste the above information." which is not helpful because there is nowhere for me to paste the license number.

It seems that the answer here should be pretty straightforward. Unfortunately it's been a big timesuck troubleshooting and quite inhibiting as I can't access several sites I need to login to.

Please let me know if you have any questions. I appreciate any help!

Thank you,
Stephanie

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Stephanie,

I'm so sorry to hear that you've been having trouble with 1Password lately. I think we're dealing with two separate issues here, so let's see if we can get this straightened out.

1Password 4 > License > gives an error that trial mode has expired. I have the option to "Buy License" (which we already did) and "Add License" which prompts me to open a file on my computer.

The license format has changed between 1Password 3 and 1Password 4. In version 3, we used a license key, which is sounds like you were able to obtain from the customer centre. However, in version 4 we moved to a license file, which is why 1Password 4 is prompting you to select a file from your computer. Now, I did a quick search in our back office records using your name and the email address attached to your forum account, but I was unable to find an account. Could you please send me a private message with some alternate names and/or email addresses to search so I can track down your licensing information?

Please note that 1Password 4 is a paid upgrade to 1Password 3. :)

Shortly thereafter the "master" password was updated and I am no longer able to login (other users can login successfully so I know I am entering the correct password). I also tried logging in using the old password just in case which was also not successful.

1Password will not lock you out of your data, even if the trial has expired on 1Password 4. You will be restricted to 20 items, but your Master Password should still work.

Now, for your privacy and security, your master password is known only by you. We cannot reset it for you and you cannot change it without entering the old one. There is also no "back door" to access your data without the master password. If there were, that would be a security hole that criminals could exploit to steal your information.

If you think you know what the password is, but it is not being accepted, please try some of these tips.

• If you have accents such as è, î and so on, try replacing it with the regular character such as e for è and see if that’ll get you in.
    • Try leaving the caps lock on and/or off. You can also try copying and pasting your master password in a text editor. Make sure it’s an editor that doesn’t sync to the cloud automatically (you wouldn’t want to expose your password in clear view). Copy the password and then paste into the master password field in 1Password.
    • If you entered the password hint for this data file, 1Password will show it automatically in a prompt after every three incorrect attempts. Confirm it’s the right hint that you entered because if not, you may be looking at a different data file.

Please try each tip, for we have found them to be the most common causes of this problem.

I hope this helps, but if you are still having trouble after trying all these steps, please let me know and we'll investigate further.

• Stephanie Russell
    Stephanie Russell
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,
    Thank you so much for the thorough response.

We have resolved issue #1 (regarding the trial expired) and I now have an updated 1Password 4 license (and am no longer seeing the 'intrial' error).

However issue #2 (regarding my master password not being recognized) is unfortunately still not working. Essentially, all machines are using the same 'master' 1Password password. The two other employees utilizing 1password can login successfully however I cannot. All passwords should be the same for all of us because we are all essentially working from the same application. I tried all of your suggested troubleshooting steps and can confirm I am typing the password exactly as it should be written. Kind of stumped at this point...

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Stephanie,

I'm glad to hear that we're halfway there! Now, it sounds to me like you might be using a different keychain than your co-workers. We'll need to take a closer look at your system here to determine where things are getting tangled up. Could you please send us a Diagnostics Report?

http://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/diagnostic-report.html

(Please be sure to select the tab that corresponds to the version of 1Password you have installed currently)

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• Stephanie Russell
    Stephanie Russell
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

Great! Thank you for your help. I just sent the report, it will be coming from srussell@speak2leads.com

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2014
    Options

Hi Stephanie,

We've received your Diagnostics Report - thanks for sending it in! Someone from the support team will get back to you as soon as possible with some details. We'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there. :)

internal reference number: TVI-19837-642

This discussion has been closed.