Advice needed in sharing/partly sharing between PC and Mac

Options
idontno
idontno
Community Member
edited June 2014 in Mac

Hi. I’m not sure which discussion group this should be posted to so sorry if I have guessed wrong.

I have purchased a Windows and Mac family bundle from the AgileBits store and I am seeking advice on the best way to configure the two installations for sharing some logins but not others.

Our Setup:

The PC has one user defined [me] and the Mac has 2 users defined – my wife and me. My wife only uses our Mac. I mainly use the PC but occasionally use the Mac.

What I would like to achieve:
P1: My Private 1Password data, P2: Wife's Private 1Password data, S: Shared data

PC [me] has P1 and S

Mac [me] has P1 and S

Mac [wife] has P2 and S

I’m guessing that the above might be achieved with separate folders but don’t really understand relationships between folders/vaults/smart folders yet. I have only stored a few logins under 1Password so can easily start again with clean keychains.

I have searched for guidance on this, but although there is a lot out there on using dropbox I couldn't find anything to help with partly sharing data. Hoping someone can help.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @idontno‌

Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed outline of your situation here. It sounds to me like you'll want to set up Multiple Vaults. Your primary vault will hold all of your personal information, and then you can create a secondary vault to hold your shared information. We have instructions on how to share a non-primary vault to help you through the process.

If you'd like some more detailed steps here, I'd be happy to help! Please let me know if 1Password is already set up on any of your computers: you mention having a few Logins saved already - are they on your Mac or your PC?

Once I know a bit more about your 1Password ecosystem, I can provide steps to get you all set up!

• idontno
    idontno
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan. Thanks for the response and sorry for the delay in reply - I've been away.
    I have gone with a low tech solution. Store all items - shared and unshared in my vault [only a primary vault at this stage] and replicate between Windows & my Mac account via dropbox. Login to my account on the Mac and export all shared items to a local shared folder on the Mac and import to my wife;s account. I tagged all shared items with a common tag to help with this. They will be items with a low level of change, and when my wife gets more comfortable with 1PW I will look at the secondary vault solution. Thanks again for your help.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @idontno‌

I'm glad to hear you found a solution that works for you! Since this issue is nicely sorted out now, I'll close this thread, but if you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to open a new thread, or email us directly at support@ agilebits .com - we're here for you. :)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @idontno,

Keep in mind that exported 1Password data is unencrypted so you'll probably want to securely delete it after it's been successfully imported into 1Password on your wife's Mac.

This discussion has been closed.