Chrome Hotkey Breaks

Options

It happened in the previous release, but it still occurs in the new 1Password 4 for Windows.

I keep Chrome open for days at a time as well as 1Password. After some time the hotkey functionality breaks and I can no longer use Ctrl+\ to Auto-fill. This doesn't happen on Firefox and seems specific to Chrome.

With the old version of 1Password I would have to kill the task in the Task Manager for Windows and then relaunch the 1Password Helper. This would in turn bring back the hotkey functionality. They hotkey would eventually break and I would have to repeat the task kill.

With the new 1Password 4 for Windows, there is no longer a 1Password Helper. 1Password itself is now a background task and runs in the system tray. This in turn makes me hisitant to kill the task as it no longer is just the helper, but the actual app. Thus, this Chrome bug has become more critical and more tedious.

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

With the new 1Password 4 for Windows, there is no longer a 1Password Helper

There sure is. Please restart the 1Password helper here: Help > Restart 1Password Helper

• Fooligan
    Fooligan
    Community Member
    Options

I have noticed that this happens for me as well. Help > Restart 1Password Helper fixes the problem; I have also noticed that locking my computer and logging back in fixes the issue. Not sure if that points to anything though?

• alamarco
    alamarco
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the Restart location, that helped to temporarily fix the issue.

The main issue still exists though. Leaving Chrome open causes a break which requires a restart of the helper. This shouldn't happen.

• Thack
    Thack
    Community Member
    Options

I would have thought the Helper could be auto-restarted, couldn't it?

• MikeT
    edited July 2014
    Options

Hi guys,

@alamarco:

I keep Chrome open for days at a time as well as 1Password. After some time the hotkey functionality breaks and I can no longer use Ctrl+\ to Auto-fill. This doesn't happen on Firefox and seems specific to Chrome.

That's because of a Chrome limitation in the connection stack we're using within our extension, it gets disconnected after a long idle, and there's no way to reestablish the connection unless you either restart Chrome or 1Password Helper. Google did provide a new connection stack in later versions but it's a huge change for us, so it's not something we can fix overnight. We do plan to switch over but I have no timeframes on this.

For now, restarting Chrome often will prevent this. I apologize for the inconvenience.

This discussion has been closed.