Limitations of 1Password's Internal Browser

glindsey
glindsey
Community Member

I used 1Password to launch the university web site to pay my son's college tuition but I was unable to make the payment due to limitations of the 1Password browser. I kept getting messages that in order to proceed with the payment, pop-up blocking would have to be disabled and the ability to accept cookies from third parties would have to be enabled. The payment procedure required clicking on a link to open a payment window in a separate tab or window.

Now, since I could find no way to make those adjustments to the internal browser within 1Password, I was unable to use this site from within the application. However, I found that I could copy and paste the login information from 1Password into the browser of my choosing, and all would work well. But that is a lot of "back and forth" between applications on a small portable device, so it would be much easier to use such a site if there were a way to adjust the browser settings from within 1Password so that the application's internal browser could be used.

Incidentally, this limitation of the 1Password browser is not limited to the implementation of 1Password on Android. I tried making the payment to the university using 1Password on both an iPhone and an iPad in addition to my Android device, and I encountered the same difficulty. Is this limitation of the internal browser something that is fixable, or would it pose an inherent security risk?

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Personally I'd rather they dump the intetnal browser and concentrate dev time on interaction with 3rd party browsers.

• tezgno
    tezgno
    Community Member

I would like to see them implement a plugin into Chrome like Lastpass. Get rid of the 1Password browser altogether. This was obviously done because the primary focus of 1Password has been iOS/Mac and it isn't going to be until iOS 8 that they could potentially put a plugin into Safari (hence why they have the built in browser on 1Password 4 for iOS and, now, Android).

• We plan on building up the features of the internal browser and adding integration with third-party browsers. Pop-up windows are not currently supported by the built-in browser in 1Password 4 for Android though. I'm not aware of an inherent security risk that would be created by adding support for pop-up windows, but this is something that our development team would need to look into further. I will definitely pass on this feedback to the team.

• glindsey
    glindsey
    Community Member

Thanks for the information!

• You're very welcome - and thank you for the feedback!

• askewchan
    askewchan
    Community Member

Another vote for working with existing browsers (firefox, chrome) rather than building one from scratch and trying to make it compete.

• Hi @askewchan,

Thanks for adding your vote here! Noted. :)

This discussion has been closed.