Password no longer valid on Mac, ok on iPad

Options
Keith Howell
Keith Howell
Community Member
edited July 2014 in Mac

My password in 1Password for Mac is no longer valid, although the hint is correct and it is ok on my iPad. I may not have had syncing set up properly or at all.

What to do.

Comments

• Keith Howell
    Keith Howell
    Community Member
    edited July 2014
    Options

The password is not recognized on my Mac, even though its correct for the hint.
    I have the program on my iPad & the password(PW) works well.
    I'm also having the same issue with my iPhone. In this case, it's asking for an old hint (for an old PW). Neither the new or old PW works.

I suspect I have a syncing issue. Should I just start over with all devices?

• Keith Howell
    Keith Howell
    Community Member
    Options

I'm totally locked out.
    How do I delete and reinstall 1Password?
    Where do I find a licensee or get a new copy without buying?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Keith,

I'm so sorry to hear that you've been having trouble getting into 1Password this morning! Since you're pretty sure you know what the password is, but it is not being accepted, please try some of these tips.

• If you have accents such as è, î and so on, try replacing it with the regular character such as e for è and see if that’ll get you in.
    • Try leaving the caps lock on and/or off. You can also try copying and pasting your master password in a text editor. Make sure it’s an editor that doesn’t sync to the cloud automatically (you wouldn’t want to expose your password in clear view). Copy the password and then paste into the master password field in 1Password.
    • If you entered the password hint for this data file, 1Password will show it automatically in a prompt after every three incorrect attempts. Confirm it’s the right hint that you entered because if not, you may be looking at a different data file.

Please try each tip, for we have found them to be the most common causes of this problem. If these tips do not help, I'll need to know a little bit more about your 1Password ecosystem in order to give you instructions to get things back up and running again:

• What are the version numbers of 1Password and your operating system for all computers and devices running 1Password?
    • What are you using to keep things in sync?

The more detail you can provide, the more quickly we'll be able to get you sorted out! :)

• MikeHaines
    MikeHaines
    Community Member
    Options

Had just downloaded mavericks and discovered my 1Password master password no longer worked. Was working through the suggestions in this post and, by typing my password in a text editor, discovered that my some of the characters I typed were not being transcribed as one would expect. Specifically the question mark in my password was being transcribed as an underline. During two hours of work with Apple we discovered that somehow the Mavericks installation had switched the language being used by a third party spell checker from english to german. Not sure what the German key board looks like but when we changed this back to English the keyboard rendered the characters correctly and my problem was solved. There are probably multiple ways the keyboard can accidentally be changed. If a password stops working typing it where the characters can be seen is a good idea.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MikeHaines,

Thank you for that detailed and helpful explanation of how you discovered the problem that was keeping your Master Password for 1Password from working. On my system, System Preferences > Keyboard / Input Sources currently only has a single U.S. input source:

In your case, it sounds like German had been added/selected.

If a password stops working typing it where the characters can be seen is a good idea.

Smart suggestion.

These things belong on the list of Master Password troubleshooting tips. Or pretty much any password that's not being accepted/entered as expected. :)

Thanks again!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I hadn't noticed that change in Mavericks (displaying an image of the keyboard in question to the right). Now if only they'd made it a little more like the keyboard viewer (the option available from the keyboard input menu) where it changes dynamically if you have a modifier key held down - that would have been quite nice.

As for 1Password, what if when you create your master password 1Password makes a record of the keyboard currently selected and graphically notifies the user if they're trying to use an alternative keyboard? It might be this would only assist a small number of users but if for some reason a user has been severely mucking about with their keyboards they might be very relieved if 1Password points our the source of their issue.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @littlebobbytables,

It was a bit disappointing to discover the keyboards under Input Sources didn't respond to input like in Keyboard Viewer, as I initially anticipated it would. But it's still nice having something visual there. :)

Remembering the input source that's activate when a Master Password is created and displaying it when a MP entered incorrectly is an interesting idea. Temporarily switching to it automatically during MP entry would be even fancier, similar to the Automatically switch to a document’s input source option in Input Sources:

Choose an input source for a document and have it used every time you work in the document until you close it, even if you switch to other documents that use other input sources in the meantime.

This option appears only when you add a second input source.

An unfancy workaround would be to include the input source name with the password hint text. :)

This discussion has been closed.