Remove 1Password master password permanently

Options
ekusasogichi
ekusasogichi
Community Member

how to Remove 1Password master password permanently

its a hindrance in productuvity especially when im using a home computer and no risk s involved

thanks

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You can't and I can guarantee they won't change this behaviour either - the program is there to protect all your passwords.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited July 2014
    Options

Why would you use this application if you have no worries about the security of your private information?

You can set the time interval required before you have to reenter your password if you. Check the Security tab in preferences. That would allow you to set a time as log as you like, but you will always be asked for your password when you restart. I have my home installation set to request the password only after two hours have passed, for example.

• ekusasogichi
    ekusasogichi
    Community Member
    Options

i only use this application to log in quickly on websites.

and its a personal pc so i really have no use for the function

thanks anyway

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

As hawkmoth has pointed out, it is easy to set 1PW so that the password is only required once after each restart. If that is too much trouble for you, you should not be using a password manager, in fact I doubt if you should be using a computer.

• Pirate
    Pirate
    Community Member
    Options

Perhaps maybe an alternative software would work better for you, such as RoboForm or something else? It is much less secure of course.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Most browsers are willing to remember passwords for you, I believe Opera, Safari, Chrome and Firefox all do & Safari at least will suggest passwords too. Where do you see the benefit of 1Password if you want to remove the security it provides? It just seems like there are cheaper solutions if security isn't your concern. You've probably already surmised that finding similarly minded people here is a bit of an up hill battle - sorry.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ekusasogichi,

I just wanted to chime in here really quickly. As you've already heard from some of our users, it is not possible to completely disable the Master Password request. One of the reasons for this decision is that your Master Password is the only way for you to access your password data. If you forget this password (because you've never had to use it, perhaps) you would have no way to view your database.

If you've got a Master Password that is long and awkward to type, you might want to have a read through our blog post here:

Towards Better Master Passwords

which will discuss ways to create passwords that are easy to remember, and type.

I can certainly understand that you feel there is a lower risk to your data since you are using a home computer. In that case, @hawkmoth's suggestion of changing your lock settings to be more flexible would be a good solution here.

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you here, but I do hope this helps to explain why the prompt is necessary, at least some of the time. :)

This discussion has been closed.