Dropbox Sync and multiple Vaults

volcom45
volcom45
Community Member

Hi,
I tried to do something that maybe I shouldn't have done and it has left me in a bit of a mess. I have the latest iOS beta on beta3 of iOS8 and it was syncing my primary vault just fine between my Mac and iPad. Today, I decided to add a 2nd Vault called Work, in which I placed a bunch of work logins. Thinking it would sync to my phone and discovering that it did not, I enabled Dropbox sync for vault "Work" on my Mac and when it asked for a file, chose the same file I already was using for Primary Vault. It asked if I wanted to merge the data and I said yes. I then ended up with all of the same items in both vaults. So, I right clicked the work items in Primary Vault and went to share/Move to Work. Then I did the same from Work to Primary default with non-work items. I now have it setup exactly how I want it, but when I launched the app on my iPhone, all of my items but 1 bank account vanished. I've tried manually syncing and disabling and re-enabling Dropbox and all I can ever get now is the 1 bank account item for Primary Vault. It doesn't even show the Work Vault. What must I do to make my iPhone sync the current setup with 2 vaults pointed at the same Dropbox file the way my Mac is showing the data? Thanks.

Comments

• volcom45
    volcom45
    Community Member

More on this.. I decided to separate my vaults with their own dropbox file on the Mac and did so. I then successfully added the Work vault from iPhone through dropbox just fine but no matter what I did, all the Primary one would show was my bank account item and no other categories. I deleted the file, recreated it, turned sync off and back on. I even deleted the bank file and tried again and it didn't download any new items but deleted my bank item to trash on my Mac which I then restored and it restored on iPhone but no logins or credit cards would ever show. I finally ended up deleting the beta and reinstalling it and it then synced everything just fine. I'm all back to normal now but that was a fun little mess I got into..

• Hi @volcom45,

Thanks for sharing your experience with us, it'll help us improve the app, and prevent this from happening again to other users.

Thinking it would sync to my phone and discovering that it did not, I enabled Dropbox sync for vault "Work" on my Mac and when it asked for a file, chose the same file I already was using for Primary Vault. It asked if I wanted to merge the data and I said yes. I then ended up with all of the same items in both vaults.

Just to be clear, separate vaults are individually sync'ed and are not connected to the primary vault on your Mac or any other devices. So, when you create a separate vault, you have to enable the sync for it and treat it as a separate file.

What you basically did is merged the data from both vaults into the same sync file, which then merges back into both vaults, which is no different from having your work items in the primary vault. Instead of one file, you now have two duplicated vaults. Now, the data disappearance should not have occurred in the first place but I'm guessing this may be the cause, 1Password may have thought they were conflicts and decided to skip importing them. I'll test this and see what's going on there.

In addition, we'll look into adding logic to the merge screen, informing users not to select a file that is already sync'ing with another vault in your 1Password app.

but when I launched the app on my iPhone, all of my items but 1 bank account vanished.

That's definitely not right, it should've merge both the primary and work vaults into the same database on the iPhone. Did you see any errors in the Sync settings on the iPhone?

• volcom45
    volcom45
    Community Member

Hey Mike, sorry for the late response on this. Nope, I never once received any errors in the sync settings on the iPhone. It would just sync extremely fast every time like in a matter of a 2 seconds. Even, if I turned sync off and then re-enabled it, it was like it would sync way faster than it should like it already knew there was nothing to sync even though only 1 item of my 19 items was ever showing up. It seemed like an issue related to the beta version and/or iOS8 beta because I tried the latest non-beta on my iPad mini in iOS7, completely removing my sync for primary vault and having no items and then turning sync back on to the same file that would not bring over anything on the beta, and it would show everything just fine. Deleting the beta app and reinstalling solved the issue, however. Thanks for the explanation of the intended separation for vaults as far as the sync files go.

• Hi @volcom45‌,

Thanks for sharing more details with us and for testing the non-beta versions. I'm not able to reproduce this on the latest betas, there must be something I'm missing.

Here's what I did:

1. Set up primary and secondary vaults separately in the Mac app
    2. Enable the sync for the primary vault via Dropbox to 1Password.agilekeychain in the Dropbox folder
    3. Enable the sync for the secondary vault to sync to 1Password.agilekeyhcain in the Dropbox folder
    4. Open 1Password on the iOS device, enable the sync for the primary vault in the Dropbox folder, everything showed up. I then add a new vault but 1Password won't let me add the 1Password.agilekeychain as the secondary vault because it is already grayed out.

Is there a step I missed that you may have done?

This discussion has been closed.