double clicking 1Password.agilekeychain opens different vault

Options
GoNavy
GoNavy
Community Member

My wife and I share a Mac. We had been using 1Password 3. We each had our own 1Password.agilekeychain. We used to be able to double click the appropriate 1Password.agilekeychain and it would ask us if we wanted to start using the new keychain. We would select "Yes" and it would open that keychain.

We just upgraded to 1Password 4. When we first launched it, it offered us the option of selecting which keychain to use. We opened my wife's.

We quit 1Password 4. We quit the mini in the dock.

Then I double click on my 1Password.agilekeychain. It opens HER vault! I don't want to open her vault. I want to open my vault.

How do I change which vault 1Password 4 opens? How can I get the option back to select which 1Password.agilekeychain to open.

Thanks in advance.

Go Navy!

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @GoNavy,

1Password 4's Multiple Vaults feature means that your previous method of opening your keychains isn't going to work anymore.

In 1Password 4, double-clicking a keychain will allow you to install that vault as a secondary vault, attached to the existing primary vault. (Which doesn't seem quite like what you want.) Just by way of explanation: multiple vaults are designed in such a way that the primary vault holds the encryption keys for all secondary vaults. This means that the owner of the primary vault is able to view the secondary vault without entering that vault's Master Password. I know this sounds a bit strange in your situation, but this feature was designed to help people share just parts of their data with other users and we wanted to ensure that a user didn't have to remember 3 or 4 different Master Passwords just because their data was separated into 3 or 4 different vaults.

If you wish to maintain two separate keychains, your best option here is to create separate Mac user accounts so that you can each use your own keychain in 1Password. With fast user switching (available by clicking on the username in the top menu-bar), it's fairly simple to move between user accounts. It will require a slight change in behaviour, but I hope it helps.

I'm sorry I don't have a perfect answer for you here. If you have any questions, please do let me know!

• GoNavy
    GoNavy
    Community Member
    Options

I am currently logged in under my user account. It isn't a problem to create another user account for my wife. I will do that.

Is it possible to associate my 1Password.agilekeychain with my user account? It is currently opening my wife's. Will uninstalling and re-installing the app give me the option of selecting a different keychain?

Thank you.

• GoNavy
    GoNavy
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your response Megan. Sorry I forgot to say thank you in my first reply. 1Password 4 not working as I would prefer, is a bit stressful and I forgot my manners. Sorry.

I used AppCleaner to uninstall 1Password 4. I deleted all associated files that AppCleaner identified. I then unzipped it again, placed it in my Applications folder and launched the program again. It launched like it did the very first time! It gave me the option to choose which keychain I wanted open. Yay! Problem solved.

Thanks again, Megan.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2014
    Options

Hi @GoNavy,

On behalf of @Megan, you're welcome. She'll be pleased to hear you've resolved this issue. :)

We actually don't recommend using an app cleaner to delete 1Password, as it may delete too much data. That's great that it worked for you in this case, but we still don't recommend it.

Our starting over article has instructions for doing that.

If there's anything else we can help you with please don't hesitate to ask!

This discussion has been closed.