Moving to 4 from 3 and changing from Dropbox to iCloud syncing

Options
HunterBoss
HunterBoss
Community Member

I'm trying to get something clarified before there's a problem.

I've just installed 4 and was wanting to switch from Dropbox syncing to iCloud. When I start that, it says that there's old data on iCloud from 1969 (?!) and it wants to merge with it. Huh? There shouldn't be anything "old" out there. How do I clean this up and then get the sync to start?

Thanks
(Happy 4th)

Christopher

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Christopher ( @HunterBoss ),

If you're sure that you have no data stored in iCloud before, we can easily clean it out by deleting this folder:

~/Library/Mobile Documents/2BUA8C4S2C~com~agilebits~onepassword

Then, to switch from Dropbox sync to iCloud sync, here's what we'll do:

• On your iOS devices, open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync > Sync Service and choose 'Disable Sync’.

• On the Mac, open 1Password 4 for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from Dropbox and confirm that you want to disable sync.

• Restart the Mac and iOS devices.

• Check your Dropbox folder and delete any other 1Password folders or files that the remove data checkbox did not take care of.

• On the Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and enable iCloud. (Ensure that all your devices are signed in to the same iCloud account and that Documents and Data is enabled.)

• Wait about 20 minutes to give iCloud time to run the initial sync to all devices.

• Go back into the iOS app and enable iCloud sync.

This should get you all sorted out, but we're here if you have any further questions!

• HunterBoss
    HunterBoss
    Community Member
    Options

Megan,

Thanks. I'll try this in a bit, but this should do it.

Christopher

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sounds good, Christopher ( @HunterBoss ). We look forward to hearing how that works for you.

I hope your 4th of July weekend was awesome!

• HunterBoss
    HunterBoss
    Community Member
    Options

Megan

I made a mistake. I didn't follow your instructions. Sorry.

I did delete the folder at the beginning as you said. And then I went off on my own.
    I started syncing my iMac with iCloud. So that's synced. :-)
    I then went to my iPhone, realizing I'm out of order. But, there's no "Sync Service" selection and there's no "Disable Sync" option.
    Help.

The good news is that I've not need to add any new passwords lately. So, whatever is in the Cloud now should be fine.
    Should I just delete the stuff off of Dropbox and start syncing with the Cloud in my iOS devices?

Sorry

Christopher

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Christopher ( @HunterBoss‌ ),

I'm sorry things got a bit confused there. I may have misunderstood part of your original post. Your title does mention that you are switching from 1Password 3 for iOS to 1Password 4 for iOS, but since you didn't mention it in the body of the post ... somehow that fact escaped my notice. My apologies! (This would be the reason that the 'disable Dropbox sync' portion of the instructions did not make sense to you.)

Let's try this again. First of all, I'd like just like to confirm a few details (to ensure that the directions I'm giving you are correct this time):

• Your iMac is now syncing correctly with iCloud
    • All your data is updated on your iMac (there is no data in 1Password 3 for iOS that you need to transfer into 1Password 4 for iOS that is not already on your Mac)

If this is correct, all we need to do on your iOS devices is set up iCloud sync. Once that is running smoothly, we can remove the data from Dropbox and delete 1Password 3 for iOS from your devices, if you so choose.

I hope this helps, but please let me know if I'm still bungling things up and misunderstanding! ;)

• HunterBoss
    HunterBoss
    Community Member
    Options

Megan,

The apologies are all mine.
    We seem to be all good.

With one exception. And I think you're going to want me to start a different thread. On my iPad the count for the "software" items is wrong. The total items on all 4 devices are the same. The count on the iPad is 1 less.

Christopher

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @HunterBoss,

Well, I'm glad to hear that we almost have things sorted out at least! Now, there are a few very basic things that we need to check before we get into the more detailed troubleshooting:

• Please ensure that you are logged in with the same iCloud account on all computers and devices. (If you're like me and have somehow collected several, this could be where things are getting tangled!)
    • Please ensure that 'Documents and Data' is enabled for iCloud on all devices.

If those items check out, let's run a test and see where things are getting tripped up:

• Create a test entry on your Mac ("Test, Mac") and add some data
    • Create a test entry on each of your iOS devices ("Test, iPhone/iPad") and add some data
    • Does "Test for Mac" show up on either of your iOS devices?
    • Does "Test for iPhone" and/or "Test for iPad" show up on your Mac?

Please give iCloud 15-20 minutes to perform a sync before checking on these tests. Because sync with iCloud happens on Apple's schedule and we are not able to directly initiate a sync (like we are with Dropbox), sometimes a bit of patience is required here.

Let me know the results of this little experiment - once we have a better idea of where things are going sideways, we should be able to get this straightened out simply for you :)

This discussion has been closed.