[Feature suggestion] wifi sync

Options
kevvyc
kevvyc
Community Member

I strongly prefer local sync and am very glad it's available in 1Password 4. However, I've found that the current system has regressed a little, and is a bit unwieldy. Here are some suggestions meant to speed up sync...

1) any chance to have the iOS app automatically sync with the desktop version when it detects it? Otherwise it’s at least 4+ taps after logging in to actually syncing (and only if the wifi sync page is open on the Mac), which brings me to
2) bring back the shortcut key in 1Password for Mac -- it used to be Command-9, but the recent updates have dropped it

Ideally, if I’m home on wifi and I open 1Password on my Mac and iPhone/iPad, the programs should detect each other and then sync without the need to “activate” sync (or at least give us the option to have "continuous" sync). Was this a conscious decision to make wifi sync so cumbersome (some security reason perhaps)? Or just an issue of priorities? If the latter, can you at least bring back #2, and perhaps look into #1? Thanks!

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kevvyc,

Thank you for the WI-Fi syncing feedback and suggestions!

1) Here's something @Megan wrote (post #15):

Wi-Fi sync is currently a manual process. This is because of the authentication method we are using. I'd like to explain a bit more about this method here.

The secret sharing we are using as our authentication method authorizes syncing between the specific Mac app and the specific iOS app. We've done it this way to ensure that only the device you want to sync has access to your data as it is transmitted wirelessly. Please note, the data IS still encrypted during this process. But we want to be sure that the data is going where it is supposed to and nowhere else in the Wi-Fi network. Authenticating both devices using this shared secret ensures that you don't risk sharing your data with unauthorized devices on your network.

We're at looking at making it automatic/easier and I've passed along your interest in this to our developers.

2) It is possible to add a keyboard shortcut (of your choosing, within system limitations), for Wi-Fi Sync using System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts, e.g.:

Some newer keyboard shortcuts are mentioned in this blog post:

1Password 4.3 for Mac: The full release notes

And others in this article:

1Password 4 keyboard shortcuts

Command-9 was removed so it wouldn't conflict with newer builtin Command-[0-9] vault switching shortcuts when there are 9 vaults, but they can be overridden.

I hope that's helpful. :)

internal reference number: OPI-866

• kevvyc
    kevvyc
    Community Member
    Options

Ah, okay, good to know! Thanks.

• Jasper
    Options

On behalf of sjk, you're welcome. Please let us know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.