Multiple vault confusion.

Options
rctneil
rctneil
Community Member

Hello

Here are a couple of issues I have come across concerning multiple vaults.

1. Is there a way to edit settings of vaults? Eg: Name, colour, etc?

2. How do you edit the Master Password of a secondary vault?

3. Is there a way of "sharing" an item with another vault rather than "moving" or "copying"? I have several items that, in theory, need to be in 2 or more vaults. Moving is not right and copying creates duplicated data. This would be helpful.

4. Can I share a secondary vault with another 1Password user on a different device? I have just split out all my work related items from my personal vault and now wish to share the new vault with a colleague. Any ideas?

Kind regards,
Neil

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello Neil ( @rctneil ),

Thanks for asking these questions about multiple vaults. Here are some answers:

[1 & 2]

At the moment there's no "easy way" to modify a vault's details (including the password) after creating it, but this article has instructions for doing it a "hard way":

Edit a vault's details

If those instructions don't work (e.g. you want to change the password) there's this variation:

• Configure Folder Sync with the original vault to create a keychain for it, then disable Folder Sync with it (leaving Delete data from the folder disabled).
    • With the primary vault active, create a new secondary vault using the details (e.g. new password) you want.
    • Configure Folder Sync with that new vault using the keychain for the original vault (you'll need its Master Password), merging the keychain data into the vault, then disable Folder Sync (optionally enabling Delete data from the folder to trash the keychain).
    • Optionally select and delete the original vault.

For now that's often my personally preferred method, and improvements are planned!

[3]

Each item can currently only be in one vault. There's no "sharing" or "linking" of a single item across multiple vaults. We've had requests for that capability; thanks for letting us know you're interested in it.

[4]

This article has instructions for sharing/syncing a secondary vault:

How to share a non-primary vault

Using Dropbox to share a vault with your colleague should work well.

I hope that's helpful. Glad I didn't have to leave you totally empty handed here. :)

If you have other questions about this or anything else please don't hesitate to ask.

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, I look forward to seeing updates to each of these problems soon.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're welcome, Neil.

We'll do our best to get the issues resolved. Thanks again for your questions and interest! :)

internal reference number: OPM-900

This discussion has been closed.