The big thread on TouchID issues with 1Password 4.6 betas

Comments

• sternklang
    sternklang
    Community Member

I just installed beta 2. Issue is not resolved.

First time I tried to re-enable this, the Quick Unlock setting was not saved after I enabled this feature, it was saved on the second try.

Now, if I hit sleep/wake and then wake/unlock the iPad and switch away from 1Password, after a second or so the passcode dialog comes up even without 1Password in the foreground. It took a few tries before I could bring up the multitasker quickly enough to kill 1Password without being presented with the unlock dialog.

After disabling Quick Unlock, I was no longer presented with the dialog but the next time I went into the Security settings the slider appeared as if it was enabled again even though the behavior of the app was that it was disabled. Tapping the slider to disable it again kept it disabled. So maybe a completely separate bug here relating to settings?

• danthony
    danthony
    Community Member

The same thing just happened to me.

• @danthony - Starting in 1Password 4.6 we are going to be using the device passcode for the Quick Unlock functionality in 1Password.

@sternklang - Are you saying that you were seeing the passcode screen over the fast app switcher?

• sternklang
    sternklang
    Community Member
    edited July 2014

No, I used the fast app switcher to successfully switch away from 1Password to the home screen, and then the passcode screen came up covering the home screen. Several times after this I hit sleep/wake, hit the home button, swiped to unlock the iPad and before I could invoke the fast app switcher to kill 1Password, the passcode screen covered the home screen.

• Very interesting, thanks @sternklang‌, I'll make sure we get a bug report filed for this one.

• No problem. We made some improvements for TouchID in beta 2 but we're still working on more fixes for it.

Please keep letting us know how it works for you guys in each update, we're looking for your feedback to see if we're making progress.

• Hi guys,

Just to confirm, I can reproduce the issue here on the iPad. We'll get this fixed as soon as possible..

• MikeT
    edited July 2014

I've merged a few related threads here as we have a lot of folks reporting the same issue in various threads.

We are aware that many folks cannot enable the TouchID support in 1Password on iPhone 5S and that enabling Quick Unlock code doesn't work at all or partially on non-touch ID devices. We've filed a radar with Apple on the latter issue and we'll keep working on this. Please stay tuned!

• Hey guys,

This should work as a workaround to enable TouchID on iPhone 5S (found by @tawe)

1. Open the app switcher and quit 1Password.
    2. Go to iPhone settings and turn off TouchID (both for unlocking the phone and for iTunes and App Store).
    3. Disable my passcode altogether.
    4. Re-enable my passcode.
    5. Turn TouchID back on.
    6. Turn TouchID on in 1Password.
  • Danevas
    Danevas
    Community Member

Worked perfectly!

• gregspeechley
    gregspeechley
    Community Member

Worked for me too, this is awesome!

• I'm glad to hear that, thanks for the confirmations. Hopefully, Apple will figure this out, and have it fixed for everybody else in the next iOS updates.

• joetomasone
    joetomasone
    Community Member

Worked for me too.

• That's great, thanks for letting us know.

• jpayne
    jpayne
    Community Member

just a comment that iOS 8 beta 3 has not resolved the quick unlock on non-touch id. (I should be so lucky to afford a 5S for development purposes... ;))

• Hi @jpayne,

Thanks, we didn't get any confirmation from Apple that they've fixed this yet, so that'd make sense. Thanks for checking it for us!

• volcom45
    volcom45
    Community Member
    edited July 2014

Just curious, once you've gotten this enabled, are many of you running into it not popping up most of the time when you launch the app? I find that most the time I'm still just presented with my usual password screen. If I go into settings/security and then close the app, the next time I launch the app, Touch ID will popup and work, but then it seems after that, it doesn't popup again until I go back into settings and then close the app. I've tried closing from the multitasking window as well but that doesn't seem to bring it back, either. Just going back into settings and then out.

Update: I think I figured out what my issue was. I had the require master password set to 10 minutes which apparently will takeover the Touch ID? I just changed it to 30 days and so far, Touch ID working fine now.

• volcom45
    volcom45
    Community Member

Unfortunately, not resolved by changing it to 30 days for Master Password. Been about an hour and it's again asking for my Master Password only, no Touch ID popup. Is there any other setting I should be changing? Or is this just bugs related to iOS8 and their Touch ID API's still?

• Hi @volcom45‌,

Your 1Password data is encrypted with your master password, so that's the only way to get into your data. TouchID and Quick Unlock on non-TouchID devices are acting on top of that, they do not replace the master password, merely accesses it in the secure iOS keychain which is only available once you authenticate with your fingerprint or the device's passcode.

If TouchID is not working properly, naturally, it'll fall back to the master password. We do have quite a bit of bugs related to TouchID and IOS 8, so it is likely this is the issue. However in case it is not related to known bugs we have shared with Apple, I'd like to replicate this so that we can double-check our code and/or file another radar with Apple on this.

I've gotten my 1Password configured the way you have, 30-day request on the master password and 2-minute request with Lock on Exit enabled on TouchID. I'll keep testing until this breaks for me, so for 30 minutes, it worked fine. I'll follow up here as soon as I figure this out.

• Hi @volcom45‌,

After a few hours, it's working as expected. It is only prompting via TouchID.

Can you reboot your iPhone, just in case that might fix it.

• volcom45
    volcom45
    Community Member

Sure will give that a try, as mine only seems to last about an hour and then just back to my master password only every time. You were doing other things on your iPhone during those hours, right? not just turning off the screen with 1Password still running? Cause I was using a bunch of other apps in that hour..

• volcom45
    volcom45
    Community Member

Nope, already not working again in less than an hour. Rebooted phone. It only works if I enter my master password and then go into settings, then close the app, and relaunch, it'll bring up Touch ID maybe the next couple times and then back to master password only again. If there's any form of logs I can send you or what not, be happy to do what I can. I know I saw someone in another thread posting this same issue with his Touch ID working inconsistently. Perhaps it's just Apple and beta3.

• sternklang
    sternklang
    Community Member

I just installed 4.6b4 on my iPad Air. The issue with the quick passcode dialog coming up without a keyboard to enter the code is still there. Not surprising, as you guys have already identified it as an iOS 8 bug, but it doesn't hurt to confirm.

• Hi guys,

@volcom45‌: It looks like while I can't reproduce it, a few members of our team are able to reproduce this. So, we're not sure yet what the differences are but we're investigating it now.

@stemklang, correct, it's an iOS 8 issue. We can't fix this just yet.

• ranvel
    ranvel
    Community Member

Touch ID was working in Beta 3 and continues to work in Beta 4. But when you start working with other applications and 1Password gets kicked out of memory, it requires that you retype the master password (even though it is set for 30 days). This seems to be the only factor, as it will authenticate even after many minutes if it was the last app open.

• kennonb
    kennonb
    Community Member

Running into this issue as well.

Other than this the new app is wonderful! This is exactly what I was hoping for when Touch ID was first announced. Makes me want it on my Mac as well. :)

• MikeT
    edited July 2014

Hi guys,

@ranvel, I've merged your thread into this bigger thread that'll cover all TouchID related issues. Thanks for sharing this with us.

@kenonb, who knows, Apple probably already have R&D working on that if they haven't built one already. :P

• stringbean
    stringbean
    Community Member

Couple of issues that I've noticed with Touch ID:

1. If you cancel the Touch ID prompt and get the master password prompt there is no way to get back to Touch ID until you enter your password.
    2. If start 1P and put your fingerprint on the sensor before the Touch ID prompt it will unlock but leave the Touch ID prompt showing (cancelling or touch auth'ing fixes this). This is easy to do accidentally if 1P was the last used app when you touch unlock your phone.
  • holgr
    holgr
    Community Member

Just to add to/update the TouchID issues: Using the latest 1Password beta (4.6b4) and iOS 8 beta 4 whatever I do, I end up having to enter the passcode. TouchID request still pops up, but I then also have to enter the master password...

Master password request is set to 1440 mins, TouchID to 1min and lock on exit.

• sternklang
    sternklang
    Community Member
    edited July 2014

The issue with the quick password dialog with no keyboard on an iPad Air is still there with iOS 8 beta 4.

This discussion has been closed.