Using 1password Extension on Torch Browser? [Torch is not supported]

orubin
orubin
Community Member
edited July 2014 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Torch is an experimental version of Chrome (http://www.torchbrowser.com/), and allows most of the Chrome plugins to work. I can successfully add the 1Password extension, and see the little key on the toolbar. However, when I click it and enter my master password, it simply sits on the "Connecting..." and counting display forever, as the 1password app does not recognize this application as a browser (I am guessing.) When I look into the 1Password preferences in the app, and click on Browser, I see Safari, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft IE, but not Torch (basically a different version of Chrome.)

Is there any way to connect this extension in Torch to the main program so that 1Password will work here as well? Obviously, the plugin is running, it just cannot connect.

Any ideas? Thanks
-ORR-

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

I'm afraid we do not support Torch.

• orubin
    orubin
    Community Member

Thanks for the answer, albeit a bit short. Since Torch is just Chrome anyway, and since the extension installs and runs already (it shows up in the menu bar, I can launch the password box, etc, etc), this looks like nothing more than allowing it to have access. Maybe I am over-simplifying here? (And I see today, it is restricted from even installing now. This your change?)

Anyway, if you could make a small change to simply allow it access inTorch, even with no support, that would be great. And I'm willing to debug and test it as well.

Cheers

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know that'd be useful to you, @orubin.

• Hi @orubin,

The reason the extension won't work in Torch is because we do a code signature check on the browser to ensure it is authentic and we have an approved list of known code signatures from known developers. This allows us to break communication to the browser if it was modified in any way by unauthorized bodies, such as malware or just an infected copy of the browser that pretends to be authentic Chrome.

We can't simply authorize every copy of Chrome without testing it in advance and we may not be able to authorize any deviations of Chrome for other reasons.

At this moment, we do not plan to approve Torch. You can disable the code signature if you want but it may put your 1Password data at risk. I'll send you a PM explaining more about this.

This discussion has been closed.