It's really, really time for a Windows 1Password update guys..

Options

I'm taking black eyes from my clients that I've pressured to move to 1Password from previous password management apps. The Mac 1Password is SO FAR ahead of the Windows, it's embarrassing. Please tell me you guys are nearing a release with AT LEAST feature parity, I don't care if it's as pretty.

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

1Password 4 for Windows is currently in beta development, @buckZor.

You can sign up to join the beta program here, if you're interested: https://agilebits.com/beta_signups/winnewsletter.html

• buckZor
    buckZor
    Community Member
    Options

I am ALL OVER THAT! Thanks Dr. Brown.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Doctor Brown. Yes! :D

• opuntia2
    opuntia2
    Community Member
    Options

Is there an estimated release date/month/quarter for IP4 for Windows?

• buckZor
    buckZor
    Community Member
    Options

Needs to be faster whatever it is.. HUGE DISPARITY between current Mac/IOS versions and Windows AND the competition.. You can't even share items with the Windows current version, NOR open them from items shared on current Mac/IOS versions... its a problem.

• ingba001
    ingba001
    Community Member
    Options

I am considering purchasing a password manager for across platform use - Windows; iPhone, iPad and Mac and it is critical that there is automatic syncing across the platforms. It seems that 1Password has the best reviews - especially for Macs, but I am scared off from purchasing because I mainly use Windows PCs for my work and home. Are you saying that (1) there is NOT autosyncing of passwords and (2) that I should wait and/or buy an alternate password manager unless there is a 1P4 windows new release???

How stable and useful is the beta Windows 1P4 version - would that make it ok to proceed or would the group advise waiting??

• buckZor
    buckZor
    Community Member
    Options

No, the Windows version WILL sync with Mac and IOS devices (using Dropbox) that works fine. I'm just grumbling about the lack of many of the v4 features from the Windows version. They are working to bring the Windows version up to feature parity, its just not nearly as pretty and feature rich as the v4 Mac and IOS versions right at this moment, but I would HIGHLY recommend you go with 1Password and AgileBits. They'll get the Windows version up to snuff in time, we are just pressuring them because we are fat impatient americans :)

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the chuckle, @buckZor!

@opuntia2, I'll paraphrase Orson Welles' famous line about the wine: "We will release no 1Password before its time." :)

• Niall 'Neo' Hatton
    Niall 'Neo' Hatton
    Community Member
    Options

I also want to join the grumpy impatient list. I use macs at home but forced into using windows at work. Where I spend the majority of the day, where the majority of my passwords need to be used (work in IT) - I have signed up to the windows beta for v4 but its been a while and I can see others have been given it. Could I please find out or get access to the beta soon. Pretty please?

• opuntia2
    opuntia2
    Community Member
    edited January 2014
    Options

@DBrown ahh Paul Masson...good stuff.

BTW, the reason I'm asking is that I want to purchase 1PW for Windows (after Safewallet shuttered up with nary a word), but not if I have to pony up some money again in the near future to upgrade to V4.

• buckZor
    buckZor
    Community Member
    Options

If you buy now you will definitely be eligible for free upgrade of the Windows version when released. It's been said numerous times, but here's one quote: http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/17786/1password-mac-windows-bundle-version-4

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Niall, we understand your impatience and appreciate your eagerness!

As the newsletter (that just went out) stated, out of about 5000 people who've signed up, so far, we've invited about 750 to start working with the beta software. We plan to invite 500 more in a week or so, and we hope to invite everyone by the end of the coming month.

• opuntia2
    opuntia2
    Community Member
    Options

@buckZor, thanks for that link to the forum post. I was going off the upgrade policy that's detailed on their license page https://agilebits.com/home/licenses. You'll see that their upgrade policy is somewhat open-ended (they may or may not allow a free upgrade to the next major version) so I'm glad to see it in writing.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

We have a long history of very liberal interpretation of the term "recent" in applying the free upgrade policy to recent purchases. :)

• buckZor
    buckZor
    Community Member
    Options

Will the Windows version ever look as elegant as the Mac? I am using the latest beta and while its nice to have some of the 1Pass for Mac functionality finally, it's still a horribly ugly application on Windows. It looks even worse on my Surface Pro 3 for some reason. Please overhaul it.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @buckZor,

If you're using it on Surface Pro 3, the high DPI screen might be the issue. Can you try the settings in this article and see if it'll make the app look better.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

it's still a horribly ugly application on Windows

What is so horrible about this?

• laxu
    laxu
    Community Member
    Options

@svondutch: How about the way it uses different styles everywhere? Top bar are mostly monochrome, sidebar is colored and has icons at the bottom that have dark/light monochrome icons. Item header and content has stylised cutout icons and a gradient background whereas top bar is flat. But above all very few of these styles fit in with Windows' native style overall. Just pick one style and stick with it for the whole app.

Oh and the app should definitely support DPI scaling properly. 4K monitors are coming out in masses at decent prices so eventually the lack of DPI scaling support will be a bigger issue.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2014
    Options

@laxu we're trying to be consistent with the Mac version (same icons, same colors)

• Thack
    Thack
    Community Member
    Options

@svondutch‌: may I suggest you rethink that policy? I am firmly of the view that applications should look native to the platform they are running on. Yes, keep the same layout and icon designs, but the Mac version should by styled like other Mac programs, and the Windows version should be styled like other Windows programs. Otherwise it looks like a clumsy port from one platform to the other, which doesn't go down well with users.

Just my view, of course.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi guys,

If you're on a high-DPI screen, try these changes, it will render mostly right on high-DPI screens. Unfortunately, there are some limitations we're dealing with on Windows that does not make it possible to support high DPI all the way and to have that support by default. We'll keep working on it but there isn't one clear solution for this.

As for the interface, we're still working on it to improve the consistency of the design across the entire app.

This discussion has been closed.