How to login and launch an App (running on my Mac, not through a web browser) that needs a password?

Options
GaryRG
GaryRG
Community Member

I am using "Logins" to store and to automatically input passwords for websites that are launched by 1Password through web browsers. I am using "Secure Notes" to store the passwords required to open Apps launched on my own computer. How can I get 1Password 4 for Mac to automatically input a password, and then automatically launch, applications that are loaded on my own Mac computer (running OSX 10.9.4), when there is no web browser involved?

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Short answer is you can't. Based on a previous question though I can suggest the following. Instead of use Secure Notes use a Password item. Then the following will work (because it has a password field).

With the program in focus, and preferably with the prompt in the password input box, use ⌥⌘+\ to bring up 1Password mini. From there start typing the start of the name that will bring up the password for that program. Use the arrow keys to navigate to it once it's displayed and then use ⇧⌘+C to copy the password. Focus should return to the program and then you can use the standard ⌘+V to paste.

Not as elegant as having it automatically filled but with a little practise it should flow quite well, especially if you like your keyboard.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @GaryRG,

Thanks for asking about this. Due to the design of the operating system, 1Password is not currently able to fill details directly into apps that are not browsers (and browsers must have the browser extensions installed to be able to fill).

I hope the information from @littlebobbytables‌ (thanks, lbt! :)) is useful, giving you a pretty nice alternative keyboard based solution for accessing your 1Password data to use with non-browser applications.

Another tip:

After displaying an item's details in 1Password mini, you can use the anchor button at the bottom of those details (or the Command-O (⌘O) keyboard shortcut) to pin ("anchor") the window to your screen so you can easily copy from it and paste elsewhere.

If you have more questions about this or anything else please don't hesitate to ask. :)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sjk my suggestion only came about after your post on that other thread :) and enhances both server items or password items (in my opinion anyway).

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks again for suggesting that here, @littlebobbytables. I enjoyed reading your clear explanation. :)

This discussion has been closed.