Autofill not working after upgrade to 4.4.1

Options
camner
camner
Community Member

After the upgrade to 4.4.1 I've run into a number of sites where autofill fails, but fails in a way that I haven't seen before.

In previous versions there have been sites where autofill has not worked automatically (that is, when using 1P to initiate the "go to web site and fill in credentials"), but once on a login page, invoking 1P to fill in the credentials has worked.

Since the upgrade to 4.4.1 there have been a number of sites with a new kind of failure symptom, which occurs whether I've used 1P to initiate the "go to website and then fill in credentials" or if I manually go the site and try to use 1P to enter the credentials. I can see that 1P fills in the credentials and then "submit" has been auto entered, but then a few seconds later the password "un fills in" automatically (I can see the dots disappear) and then I either get a "sorry, either your username or password are incorrect" from the website, or some times I just see the password disappear and nothing else happens.

This doesn't happen on all sites...and I where I have run into it I have tried setting up a new 1P entry from scratch to see if it has something to do with the old 1P entry that may have been passed down from generations of 1P gone by, but that hasn't helped.

Comments

• Jasper
    Options

Hi @camner,

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble! Have you tried saving a new login for those sites following these instructions:

Saving a new Login manually

If that doesn't work, could you please share the URLs of the problem login pages?

• camner
    camner
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the response, and my apologies for not responding back earlier. What I'm finding is that in 1P 4.4+, this is happening repeatedly. Taking your suggestion of creating a new login for the site DOES tend to fix things (most of the time), but it seems odd that so many sites that worked before with 1P now require a new saved login in order to function correctly. Did 1P change something under the hood to account for this?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2014
    Options

Glad to see you back, @camner. :)

A common reason for previously working Login items now failing is mentioned in the saving a new Login manually article:

Saving a new Login like this can be useful for Logins that are either problematic to begin with or were once working but have since stopped. It allows 1Password to refresh everything it “knows” about the page. Login pages can change as websites are updated, and this can be a very helpful tip in those cases.

(emphasis added)

There may also be changes in 1Password that can cause issues with certain older items with certain sites, but it actually benefits reliability once a new Login is saved. Both 1Password and the item are improved with a "mutual repair upgrade" in cases like that. :)

• camner
    camner
    Community Member
    edited July 2014
    Options

Good points, all. I think I probably oversimplified things in my mind, thinking that URL changes (which are so obvious) was the primary reason for 1P to lose track of things, but now that I think about it, that's obviously false.

I suspect I also fell prey to the all-too-human tendency to get suckered by the post hoc, prompter hoc fallacy. I updated 1P versions, some sites that used to work with 1P stopped working, therefore the version upgrade is responsible for the behavior. NOT!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @camner,

I'm so glad to hear that @JasperP and @sjk got things sorted out for you! If you're noticing any particular URLs that are still not behaving after a manual re-save, please let us know and we'll do some further investigating. :)

This discussion has been closed.