The comparision

vashachiroku
vashachiroku
Community Member
edited July 2014 in Lounge

(Sorry super long post)

The past two months I switched to my first password manager, being I use a lot of different devices 1Password doesn't work for me and I don't mind paying for piece of mind. I ended up going with LastPass**** because they had iOS, Android, Windows Phone, Windows Desktop, OSX, and Windows RT. I have a Surface RT work gave me which I use often and since you can only install Store Apps it was great to have LastPass**** app to still access my passwords.

After two months I have submitted feedback to LastPass**** and I am happy with the solution, but storing all the data in the cloud is the part I'm having a bit of an issue getting over.

Has anyone else switched from LastPass**** to 1Password? Any feedback or suggestions?

Issues I foresee:

• Dropbox - No thanks never had an account and wont sign up for one either
  • OneDrive - Missing which this is a big piece of the puzzle
  • Windows Phone - requires Dropbox, no OneDrive support, no Wifi Syncing support
  • Windows RT - No App at all
  • Syncing between OSX and Windows (Have to see how this works)

I know 1Password has always being an Apple shop until recently. What I am really looking for is to hear the company is committed to three things:

1. Creating and Releasing a Windows Universal App in the App Store (Includes Desktop, Tablets, RT, WP all in one shot)
  2. Wifi Syncing for Windows Phone
  3. OneDrive Support

I plan to work with my family members and move them over to the best password manager for them. My father is iOS and OSX, my mother is Android and OSX, Step Mother is iOS and Windows, Brother is iOS and OSX, other family members are Android and Windows.

Everyone is using everything I want to avoid having half the family members on 1Password and the other have on LastPass**** I already play enough IT support for the family.

How have other 1Password users assist their family members in the world of multiple devices?

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi @vashachiroku,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. It's great that you decided to increase your security by using a password manager. Generating, saving, and filling strong, unique passwords for every site is one of the great benefits to using 1Password. As you allude to, 1Password is also an app not a hosted service. So your data is never stored on our servers. There are also no annual fees for syncing or mobile use.

You can use any custom sync solution (via Folder sync) to keep 1Password for Mac and Windows in sync. That includes OneDrive. Then just use Wi-Fi Sync to sync one of your Macs or PCs with any iOS devices you may have. You are correct, though, that at this time only Dropbox sync is supported in 1Password for Windows Phone; Wi-Fi Sync is not supported on Windows Phone.

I plan to work with my family members and move them over to the best password manager for them. My father is iOS and OSX, my mother is Android and OSX, Step Mother is iOS and Windows, Brother is iOS and OSX, other family members are Android and Windows.

It sounds like 1Password would be a great fit for all of your family members. 1Password has recently been overhauled on both Windows and Android, and it continues to be solid on both Mac and iOS.

I know 1Password has always being an Apple shop until recently. What I am really looking for is to hear the company is committed to three things:

While we are happy to discuss our past track record (including a Windows app since 2010), we don't normally discuss future plans. Right now, 1Password for Windows is a desktop app, and due to some restrictions in RT there are no immediate plans to develop an RT version. Thank you for letting us know you are also interested in Wi-Fi Sync on Windows Phone and OneDrive support on mobile devices.

We have the best customers on the planet, and I am reminded of it time after time. You obviously care enough to contact us about this. Thank you for your passion! I wish more folks in this world shared it.

We deeply appreciate customer input and take it into account constantly. We have always preferred to let the software speak for itself rather than trying to lure people in with promises of future features or products. In fact, I'd never encourage anyone to purchase 1Password (or any product) based on claims of future features or versions. On the contrary, I would advise you and others to always use the tool that meets your needs as best as possible today. If that's not 1Password for you at this time, then we will keep working hard in the hopes that one day it is.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with. I have passed your feedback along to the developers and would be happy to pass any additional feedback to them as well. :)

This discussion has been closed.