Best approach for husband and wife using 1P?

Options
pomme4moi
pomme4moi
Community Member

I know there are threads on this topic, but allow me to ask again pls. I have an iMac, and iPad and an iPhone. My wife has a MacBook Pro, an iPad and an iPhone. We currently have our separate lists of websites and passwords that we each use. We do not want to share password information with each other. We each want access to our respective passwords across our respective devices. What is the best way to set up 1P for this scenario?

One option, I guess, is to have two entirely separately installations of 1P. One installation on my iMac, iPad and iPhone to store and manage my password data. And a separate installation on my wife's MacBook Pro, iPad and iPhone that she would use to store and manage her password data. Is this a viable scenario? Which 1P licenses would we have to purchase for this?

Another option is to have a single installation of 1P, installed on all our Mac and iOS devices, and then somehow use the 1P vaults feature to segregate our respective data. But I'm not sure how this works exactly. Would we share a single common password to access 1P, then each have a different password to access our respective vaults?

Thanks for the advice!

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

One option, I guess, is to have two entirely separately installations of 1P. One installation on my iMac, iPad and iPhone to store and manage my password data. And a separate installation on my wife's MacBook Pro, iPad and iPhone that she would use to store and manage her password data. Is this a viable scenario? Which 1P licenses would we have to purchase for this?

This is how my spouse and I have our installations set up. We have a family license for Mac, and each of us bought our own copy of 1Password for iOS. We don't share anything at the moment, but I'm beginning to think I need to figure out a way to do so, since there are some sites we both need to access, and if one of us changes a password to such a site, it can be a nuisance to remember to tell the other one.

Once iOS 8 and Yosemite arrive, it looks like it will be possible for family members to share media and applications, even if they are purchased under different Apple IDs, as long as all accounts use the same credit card. That will mean one purchase for the Mac and another for iOS (which is universal and works on iPad and iPhone) would suffice, and you could still set everything up just like you outlined.

I don't use multiple vaults, but they seem to provide an opportunity to share some but not all information among users. One thing to remember, though, is that your master password unlocks your main vault and all secondary ones. The secondary ones can have separate passwords and they can be opened alone, without opening the primary vault. That prevents a second user from gaining access to all the data in both primary and secondary vaults.

Since I don't have my own experience (yet) with mutilple vaults, maybe this page from the manual will be helpful: Multiple Vaults

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

By the way, I don't regard my answer as a complete response to your post. I hope someone experienced with multiple vaults will happen along and chime in.

• pomme4moi
    pomme4moi
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks hawkmoth. Did you and your wife purchase 1P under separate iTunes ID's? We only have one iTunes ID that we use for our all our iTunes app and content purchases ...

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited July 2014
    Options

We did use separate IDs. With you have only one to share, you will only need to buy one copy for iOS, which can be installed on any iOS device that shares that ID. Same goes for the Mac version if you buy from the Mac App Store. I've been wishing for quite awhile that we shared one in my household.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2014
    Options

Hi @pomme4moi‌

I hope that @hawkmoth's suggestions have been helpful ... he did pretty much cover all of the bases, especially with respect to licensing.

As far as multiple vaults go, I think they can be extremely handy for situations such as yours. My husband and I don't share our primary vaults either, but there are those few Logins that we do share (Netflix being the most important, of course!) so a shared vault allows us to have quick access to those Logins while keeping all our personal data separate. :)

If you do have any further questions, please let us know - we're here to help!

This discussion has been closed.