Overlay on App Extension

camsoft
camsoft
Community Member

I think the White background that pops up is jarring. I persoanlly think it would be better to preserve the users context and show the unlock modal and list of logins in a context aware way so that you can still see the web page behind.

Apple's demo of App Extensions showed a good example of showing the app extenstion as a smaller than full screen cantered modal. Implementing this in using the new iOS 8 API is easier than ever. When iPhone 6 comes out with larger resolution screen I think this will be even more of a reason to do this. At the moment on the Beta when I open the extension most sites just have one login so there is a huge amount of white space.

Comments

• Thanks for the feedback, @camsoft‌! We've begun to make some improvements to this area of the extension and will continue to do so.

• camsoft
    camsoft
    Community Member

That's great news. The overlay still feels clunky and there is quite a delay sometimes before it's removed.

• Hi @camsoft,

Right now, we're mostly focusing on the core stuff, making sure the extension is stable and working properly. After all, this is all new to us and to Apple as well. iOS 8 is still early in its development with a lot of bugs to fix, we're filing radars with Apple to keep improving their work on the extension API and thus, improves our extension as well.

Once we're at that point where both iOS 8 and extensions are stable, then we can have some real fun designing it to be more simple and pretty. That does mean that you'll start to see UI improvements in the later stage of the development, not right now.

• camsoft
    camsoft
    Community Member

Great news. Some things you kind of have to ride out as Apple will likely improve the API in the coming betas. I guess you don't want to spend loads of time working on improving the presentation of the extension to work around limitations in the current Beta SDK that Apple will likely fix in a future beta.

• That's correct and the whole point of the beta program for both Apple and us.

This discussion has been closed.